Cutting down a slalom ski for a kid

AggieSkier

• Baller

Trying to make a slalom ski for a kid.

I cut down an adult slalom ski that broke behind the from binding. That leaves me a 50 inch ski. Rounded the back and covered it with JB Weld. Cut in a new fin box slot. Now my question is -- where to position the front binding? Without the fin box the ski balances out at 25 inch from the tail.

• Baller_
Can't answer that question directly but I can attest to cutting down a ski as a valid move for a kid. I cut the tail end off a 65 EP making it a 61. Same JB weld move. It works awesome. I sware it's like she has a Goode mid ride. I actually guessed at the boots based on setting it next to my ski and eyeballing where the bindings should go. Worked perfect for her. I did add a wing to slow the ski down. That worked well too as the ski is actually a bit wider than a true jounior ski. I've tried her on different real jounior skis and nothing works as well so far. It is a very very stable and since the tip is taller than a traditional jounior ski the larger wakes are a non issue for her. Ill post pic when I gat back from vacation. It also has a costom paint job.

• Supporting Member

Barely staying on the topic: I talked with Jamie Beachesne a little at a recent tournament in NH, and it sounded like he was thinking of "retiring" as an athlete, but he had a particular interest in developing skis and related products made specifically for kids. Sounded kind of interesting. No clue if it'll go anywhere.

Wish's note about a larger tip is a good example that shows why making kid-specific equipment needs some more thought than it has gotten in the past.

• Baller_
I don't want to start anything but disagree that cutting down a ski is not a good way to go. Mostly because of what I stated above. I did have one of the top coaches from Europe coach my daughter (more than once). I can tell you I was very concerned and a little embarrassed to have her coached with such a ski. When I asked him what he thought of the ski (and he did look it over) he said she should not change based on her performance, advancement, the ski shape and the fact that he said jounior skis will be reshaped in the near future. Not sure what he ment regarding near future or what inside info he had, but I took it as the current crop of skis are simply shrunken slalom skis. And it doesn't take a physics major to realize how rediculois that actually is. If JB gets into junior ski design, I can almost guarantee they will be designed very differently than the current crop. Skibrain is right in that you may have to try a few boot placements. I may have gotten lucky but they way I did it seemed to work.

• Baller

@Horton - Thanks but a 62" ski is too big for the kid right now. Maybe in the future.

MAD11 cut down a Goode ski for his daughter who made rapid advancements. This X5 Nomad is for an 8 yr old neighbor kid who is riding combo trainers. I think we will try to position front binding where the ankle bone is at the ski balance point.

It was interesting to dissect the discarded tail of the ski. Split it longitudinally on the fin box.

• Baller

The kid was so excited to have a cool "adult" ski he wanted to use it in the pool before dad got home. First pass he dropped a ski and went 40 ft. 2nd pass he dropped a ski and went 4 lengths of the slalom lake. Next attempt was a deep water start and he got up the first time. He crossed the wakes, did spins around the islands and was beaming when he finally dropped near the dock.

• Baller

I love it! Cut down skis rock!

With that said, just get junior size bindings on a small adult ski. Cutting down a ski removes the rocker balance designed into the ski. The ski might handle very weird. A good smaller (64) ski will handle normally and be appropriate when the skills advance.

Kirk had some kids Connely. It looked cool and got him stoked to ski. I was critiquing his style defects. When I rode the ski I skied with the same defects. He immediately got on a proven adult size ski and started skiing well.

Trick skis are also better adult sized. Just slow down a bit.

Eric