Centurion Boats To Pull Two Regionals

• Baller
My son (12) skied a PB behind it this weekend and said the wakes felt really soft behind it. I drove it but only as the safety boat for jump and I liked the seating position but that isn't much of a review.

• Baller

I am not thinking of getting one. If it came in an open bow I would consider it as I like having the open bow for being out on the lake in general not so much for skiing. Based on the way it skied for my son and everything I heard about the way it drove I would definitely consider it if it had an open bow. The one thing that would concern me is resale value as I am not sure how the Centurions would hold value. From what I heard about pricing I don't think they are much less expensive.

The dealer wasn't really around though. It seems like it would have been a good chance to talk to a bunch of skiers and I didn't see him anywhere.

It is gaining a very solid reputation up here. All the long line kids, 15 off slower skiers want to have the boat pull them. We had a 3 round record a few weeks ago and I would say it was my best set of the day behind it.

SWC, if we sell the 196, we will take a good look at one. Not sure if we could afford the upgrade to a MC/MB/CC when ours sells.

• Baller
I'm assuming these are in the mid to upper $40k's? With '07-'09 196's out there for upper $20's / low $30's, the Centurion has some tough market competition. And, one can be confident on not losing their butt on a 196 down the road.

• Baller
I've yet to see a Pro Carbon in person, but if they use the same interior components and materials as their wakeboard counterparts, they seem fairly behind MC and CC. As a regular consumer, I didn't really care for the vinyls, carpet, gauges, etc that I've saw from Centurion. Now if the price was considerably less, I wouldn't care, but it sounds like it's not too far off the big 3. I wonder how a 3 year old CP would look sitting next to a 196, 197 or 200?

• Baller

The Carbon Pro pulled a lot of the Liquid Zone skiers over the weekend. All the women loved it. I did overhear a couple of the deep shortline men complaining that the pull was too hard (it was a big engine boat that was used for jump). Interesting. Who really makes the boat buying decisions?

One interesting feature was that the boat seemed to crab a bit sideways down the lake.

I really want to try it for tricks. I have a soft spot for Centurion - I won my first Regional medal behind one. And the owner's last name is Lee - no relation but a cool last name!

Eric

• Baller_

The most popular name in the world is thought to be Muhammed, with an estimated 15 million people with that name.

Eric, Confusion comes hand in hand with old age maybe it was Rick Lee Muhammed? or is he a old school Prize fighter?

We have yet to see a Carbon pro here in the great state of Florida, It is a shame we wont have one at the southern Regionals. Is the boat a 1:1 or does it have a reduction gear in it?

• Baller
@jody seal - jody, the boat is 1:1. It's propped OK for slalom but considering how "soft" the pull feels, jump may be an issue. Not sure. The boat is light, quick out of the hole and very responsive so for most jumpers it would probably be OK.

• Baller

Jody, maybe you need to include Li spellings as well. India is set to pass China in population soon so demographics and names change.

Roger, the starting dock was lined up with the course at Liquid Zone. The stern of the boat was clearly closer to the left guide and the pylon was centered perfectly. The spray was slightly different from side to side. The path appeared perfectly straight. My first impression was that the driver was way off line so I looked carefully - the driver was perfect and the boat was crabbing. Nothing wrong with crabbing - that might be why the wake feels good.

I personally didn't ski behind this Carbon Pro. The one I skied at Paradise a while back felt quite normal - not too firm and not too soft. Kind of like the feel that all the boats are now offering. The big engine MC I drew at Liquid Zone felt actually quite soft. I was able to almost get the pass after totally blowing 2 ball. I'm not sure the boat draw now has a real effect on my scores (as is right) - all the boats pull great!

Eric

• Supporting Member

I like the boat a lot, but have already been quoted $44k for a 1-year-old promo in our area. So this thing ain't cheap.

Still, in *some* aspects, it's actually better than the big 3. The comments about great wakes at lower speeds/long lines lengths keep racking up, so I think it's safe to say that's true.

And personally I like the fact that they invested their effort and costs toward engineering features such as the weight (it's 600 pounds lighter than my current boat and closer to 1000 lighter than some of the new ones I believe), and skimped on the "comfort" features like rugs, open bows, comfy rear seats, etc.

Personally, I think it's a little ugly overall, but that ain't gonna stop me.

If they continue on this track for a few years, I think it's almost a given that my next boat will be a Carbon Pro.

• Baller
Than - I think you could reasonably expect to pay in the 35k range for a 2011 since Centurion is trying to gain a foothold in the market. That said, if the reviews remain positive and they continue to evolve the product, 44k would not be unreasonable over the next couple of years. If I were simply looking for a "tractor" for club use, the Carbon Pro would be at the top of my list.

I watched my daughter ski a tourney from the dock and the wake looked about the same size bumps and the MC and the Malibu. If I were to rank the three it would be MC lowest and Malibu looked the highest. She starts at 24.9 and max is 30.4 mph.

The weirdly pointed nose of the boat looks bad and the rubber floor was much hotter than the carpet. The vents in the nose will surely fill with water if your not careful turning around to pickup a skier. Just my opinion.

• Supporting Member

@MS -- Interesting. I don't think I'm *really* in the market, as my boat is working great and my daughters aren't quite at the point where a smaller wake would really help them.

But perhaps I should have a conversation. It kinda looks like my current boat could be sold for about $25k, so effectively $35k is _half_ of the upgrade cost of $45k. What's the contact info (feel free to use private message if appropriate)?

• Baller
Our 2011 Carbon Pro will be available in October, great boat, great price, pic attached is before we wrapped it...you can see the after with wrap on our website www.skisunsetranch.com Lots of guests this season have skied behind it and everyone has loved it from kids to short liners...FYI, gel coat has never been in the water without the wrap, anyone interested feel free to reach out :)/vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/0/940.jpg

• Baller
Yeah, that't the cool thing wrap comes right off, but the gel coat and decals stickers all are perfect never getting wet. We tried everything every cleaner known to man toxic and non-toxic still after a hot day in the lake the sides just got a build up that made them look chaulky and it was such a cleaning nightmare that took forever. Something about the wrap the the hard water doesn't seem to stick as bad either. This boat is even wrapped on the top...I highly reccomend it to anyone who has any water spot issues. Pays for it's self in time and elbow grease! Boat at wrap shop, just finished.../vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/2/942.jpg

• Baller
That's a great looking boat. I am trying to close on a house next week and need to think of a way I can convince my wife that by selling my current paid-for boat and financing that one we could afford more furniture. I'll need a little time to figure out how to pitch that one.