No '11 Worlds on ESPN3?

eyepeeler

• Baller
Which begs the question - WTH is this event in Russia? I'm not trying to be politically incorrect (for once), but how many skis, boats, etc. are sold in Russia? This is a showcase event for our sport and no one will see it. What are the market reasons for holding this event in Russia? It's like playing the Super Bowl in Kenya. It will attract some curious interest at a local level but as a means of expanding the sport, not so much.

• Baller

Hi guys, this is my first comment.

Jdarwin, the soccer World Cup is not all the times in Brazil, Italy and France... World Championships move around the world just as the title suggests. It's good for the sport, and Dubna is capable of providing over 30 000 spectators during the weekend! Good luck to all the skiers in Russia.

• Baller
@Matteo - I understand that the event will be well attended but my question remains; why should the membership of AWSA spend $20k to send a few skiers half way around the world to compete in an event that will do little to drive membership to our organization? Obviously, someone sees value in it. I'm on the fence.

• Baller
@Brent - they are already here! But seriously, if the federations in Europe see value, then great. Problem is, I don't. USAWS could spend those dollars elsewhere to benefit the membership as a whole. If skiers want to spend their money to compete (like I do), then I have no issue with that. But when my dollars (membership fees, sanction fees, etc.) are subsidizing others, I believe I have a dog in the fight and the right to voice my opinion.

• Baller
@Brent - this year, I will pay over $1500 in sanction fees and head taxes to the governing bodies of our sport. That doesn't include the membership dues for my family. Therefore, it's a bit more than a "drop in the bucket" for me. Unfortunately, if I want to host tournaments where skiers will actually attend, I have to pay USAWS in order to play.

• Baller_
It fell off last week. Seriously though, that knowledge drop didn't help. Still don't know when to tune in. Where's the TV-guide for this?? Web link leads to a live feed surrounded by words not written in English.

@Wish - you are on the correct link. The webcast will started this morning at 4 am Eastern USA time which is 12 noon in Dubna, Russia. Yes the link has Russian but the webcast is good, clear and three different commentators speak Russian, French and Tony Lightfoot does English. Webcast for Sunday finals also starts at 4 am East Coast USA time. As a side note: tournament was over by approximately 10 am eastern USA time.