T-factor: First impression and question

Than_Bogan

• Baller

I went from Leverages to T-Factors this year. Got a new ARC this year, and put my old Leverages from my old Nomad on them. The ARC felt very comfortable and familiar but with rockets and afterburners, and much better tires for tight turning installed, on the very first run.

A couple weeks later, went to T-Factors as I needed some bindings for a ski for my kid, and figured I would rebuild the leverages (they need the wraps replaced) for him, and try the T-factors. They felt VERY weird at first on my new ski. I felt very edgy and catchy, like a race tuned pair of alpine slalom skis where the tech forgot to detune the tip and tail at all. But, after a couple/few sets, my body, balance and reflexes got used to it and since it has felt great. I would give it a few sets/days as the others have suggested.

It didn't take me long but I ended up really liking these bindings.

• Baller

@jhughes I used T-factor for several years. The first set of bindings started falling apart so I got a new set. Put the new set on exactly where the old ones were same ski, everything. I couldn't hardly run a pass. I didn't realize how much they had loosened up. It took a few weeks to get used to the new set and get them to loosen up some. I've gone to Reflex now and not going back.

Did you check where your ankle bone is? Even though the boots are very similar. The leverage pushes the foot back and T-factor pushes it forward. I had a Leverage on my trick ski for a while it does have a different feel to it.

• Baller

So, more results from the field here. Skied probably 18 passes this morning trying various stuff including moving the binding (which didn't work). Very specifically 1/3/5 (offside) is fine and dandy. 2/4 is a school bus turn with no angle or finish.

I don't think it's a matter of just getting "used" to the binding at this point- it feels fine. In an extremely specific and repeatable fashion my ski only works on one side of the course now. I'm sure it's some horrible habit I had that the Leverage tolerated and this boot will not tolerate.

So, given this very specific feedback is there anything anyone can think of or has experienced similarly other than just getting used to the binding? Water time is too precious to mess with this much more.

I think as an aside we are way too tolerant of stuff taking lots of time to get used to in this sport. In almost any sport or hobby if you invest in better equipment, the result is usually better performance and a satisfied customer. Can you imagine buying a new driver and not being able to tee off for 6 rounds of golf and that being totally OK?

• Baller
@jhughes video would help. To some extent I agree with your point on things taking a long time to get used to. With golf equipment if something doesn't work for me right away I forget about it and move on. I do feel water skiing is a little different and sometimes things need 5-10 sets to get used to. I would agree if it isn't working by then it is time to move on.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan A ski buddy of mine moved to double Tfactors, he felt the Front binding was pretty tight on the top of his foot, he adjusted the boot underneath, to make it narrower which gave it a bit more rubber on the top, he found this made his bindings a lot more confortable.

If you have a wide foot this probably will not work but if you do have some wriggle room, it might make the binding a lot more comfortable.

• Baller
Looking at some video from yesterday it looks like I'm coming into 2/4 with my hips dragging behind and just not putting enough ski in the water on the onside turn. The stiffer back of the Leverage must have somehow allowed me to do this and still have tip pressure. As such if I can simply improve my technique that should fix 2/4 and for that I will be grateful for the T-factor.

• Baller

@jhughes I know water time is very valuable (I only get 3-4 day/month). I have never tried T factors but I encourage you to give them 6 to 8 sets (based on good reviews). You were the one who wrote the article about changing your attitude. I found that article very helpful and it showed me I was setting unreal expectations.

Obviously you would like to jump on new bindings and be at equal or higher performance of your old bindings and right now it sucks because your 2/4 isn't working at all.

Think about this:

1. go read your article from last year

2. think about where you want to be with yours skiing next May (old 2/4 or better, stronger 2/4)

3. think of the next six sets as rehab for your 2/4 turn.

Keep your chin up and stay with it! If you hate the T factors after 6 more sets at least you can say that you gave it your ALL.

• Baller
Just keeping this up to date for the sake of future reference. Heard back from D3 on the 2/4 not working and they said I can try 1 hole back on the binding or loosen the top a bit just to help get used to them. They confirmed additionally that in the long run it's worth it. The binding has more lateral stiffness which is what takes getting used to.

• Baller
Put my foot in a friends Tfactor, the front rubber/toungue imediately moved round and was not central, this would annoy me, I noticed earlier in this thread that @Jean B, had modified it so this did not happen, is Jean B actually saying that you make two hole in the front rubber/tongue vertically and pass the laces through a loop that you created using the two holes, just trying to make sure I have that correct.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy Mine moves around a bit but not to the extent that it bothers me. In practice its not an issue and I would caution against modifying it and possibly messing with the release properties. Even though it moves around you have to look down to know that its actually moved so its not a big deal.

• Baller

@jhughes - how did things pan out in the end? I have just moved to a new front T Factor (with RTP) after years on a Leverage and have experienced the exact same issue as you did, I.e. poor onside turn. It feels sluggish like the ski is suddenly 2 inches longer. I moved the fin forward a tad but this didn’t help at all.

It kind of feels like I can’t hook the ski around the buoy anymore which is obviously what I was doing with the stiff front and back Leverage. The T Factor feels softer at the front of the ankle (forward flex) which I know is the idea but has created this issue for me, like you, with one side turns. Or maybe it’s the soft back which is causing the problem? Clearly I need to figure out how to turn with my hips not my feet.

My next step may be to move the rear binding one hole back as this controls on side turns...

• Baller
Went to double T factors this season. I'm a 9-9 1/2 and mediums are very snug, but not uncomfortable. Feel is very connected Lots of slime to get in. I was told when buying they'll feel very different and expect 5-6 sets to settle in. I don't tighten the bungees. I've found tfactors to give great support. They release very well as had some world class falls and both feet popped out, which I was glad to see. I cut the excess laces and tied knots in the excess cord as the plastic slides from D3 can come off easily. Personally I love the feel of these as they do a good job of holding my feel firmly in place, well connected, little if any movement. Forces yo to ski more with hips vs pushing with feet.