PerfectPass ZO Update Final Testing and Evaluation - Shortline Lake, Elk Grove, CA

Dirt

• Baller
I will purchase both upgrades for my new StarGazer system on my 1997 Ski Nautique TSC Hull GT-40 Masters Edition. I paid $15,400.00 for the boat and trailer with 209 hours. $1250.00 for the StarGazer and will happily pay the $538.00 for the upgrades. $17,188.00 for a ski boat that will emulate a $50,000.00 ski boat with ZO.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I'm w/you, JC. $17K for my '00 w/84 hours prior to the '08 season. Have not yet done SG so will do all at once. It will be a chunk of change, but worth it and I so look forward to no magnets. One less thing to worry about on two courses in the swamp.

• Baller
I'm w/you, JC. $17K for my '00 w/84 hours prior to the '08 season. Have not yet done SG so will do all at once. It will be a chunk of change, but worth it and I so look forward to no magnets. One less thing to worry about on two courses in the swamp.

Hi all,

I contacted PP early in December to inquire about ordering an upgrade for my StarGazer for our season Down Under.

Here's their response I received on December 1st:-

Phil

Not all of the product is ready to ship and not all the answers to your questions have been answered but I will get back with you once we are ready to ship

Randy

As far as surging issues are concerned, we've had very little of that behavior. I've spent a small amount of time fine tuning background settings & am very happy with our results.

My main motivation for upgrading is that I'm confident that the upgrade will be a considerable improvement in all areas including Skier feel as well as ease of driveablilty.

The main concern I raised in my question was related to our Baselines being considerably lower than the US boats.

We run 3070rpm @ 36 rpm & 2890 rpm @ 34 mph.

Our 1997 Built Aussie Custom, with a bit over 600 hours on the clock is still in great condition & serves it's purpose, (at the rate of 11.5 litres/hour.

Other household renovation are taking precedent in our budget at present, so no plans for a new boat in the next 3 or 4 years. Looking forward to this upgrade.

My 2c worth

Cheers

Phil.

@ haines ZO is perfect for slalom. You go, the system goes with you to compensate. Use the PP switch to compensate for you going. You go, the PP switch will go with you to compensate. Run plus and or plus plus to help emulate the newer stronger boats. Use up to 40 on the switch to be sure the boat can keep up with you depending on your strength as a skier. You can't run soft settings on PP and think that will match ZO. ZO keeps close to constant speed.

@ phil "very little" is absolutely unacceptable.

If you want to match the power of the newer boats Put a smaller prop on to raise the RPM and that will give you more power like the newer boats.

• Baller

@mrpruss. If you're having surging problems with SG it's due to an improperly set up system, period. Most of us have figured it out, if you haven't read the numerous posts on this site pertaining to how to set up your SG properly I suggest doing so. If you prefer ZO or kicking it old school with a Switch that's fine, your choice. For those of us who don't want, need, or can't afford a newer ZO equiped boat, or who could otherwise really care less (me), SG is a quantum leap above old school PP. Once properly setup SG is just as easy as ZO to use/drive and no kx, px, whatever-x to have to screw with. The ZO Emulator is for those who want/need the arguably harsher ZO pull so they can ski with a pull somewhat similar to what they'll get in tournaments without having to drop big $$$'s for a new/newer boat. The 95% of us who don't ski tournaments could really care less.

Ed

• Baller
mrpreuss, I've tried all of those tricks and it felt nothing like zo. I'm guessing that I weigh a little more than you and probably don't ski near as smooth as you. I've heard of a few guys that can cross over between the two systems with out a problem. I'm not one of them! I have to agree with you that zo is probably a better slalom pull once you get used to it. I think the newer boats like the 200 make transitioning between the 2 alot easier. Making zo available to new boat owners exclusively did tournament skiing a great dis-service. Introducing a new product that will closer emulate zo is a step in the right direction.

@mrpreuss "Very little" was in the early days before we had every thing setup properly.

Considering we have an older non standard boat with considerably lower than usual baselines

I completely expected to have to do a degree of tuning on the system. We now run times that

are constantly withing .01 to .02 per segment.

• Baller
@Steven Haines the couple of 200's I've skied behind (both equiped with the big 410 hp engine) were at a minimum as smooth and "friendly" as SG IMO. No issue switching to skiing behind them whatsoever. IF ZO were like that in every boat it's in we'd have absolutely nothing to argue about.

• Baller
I totally agree Ed! They've definately got a winner in the 200. I had forgotten about the difference between boats though. Since they changed over to using zo, I lost the drive to compete. If I skied behind zo all of the time Id probably be like all of the other zo lovers. I don't have a problem affording a blinged out boat. My problem is being forced to if I want to continue to ski tournaments and feel good about my performance. I think that zo "might" be easier on your body once you have changed your style to agree with zo. Just a guess though.

• Baller

There is a strong slalom bias in this forum. But waterskiing is a three event sport. PP with DBW boats did not aquire speed quickly or reliably enough. Maybe the best setups and drivers could make PP work for slalom, but there were too many rerides in tricks. And trick practice in a short lake was a disaster. ZO is magic for DBW boats - in all disciplines.

PP is fantastic for throttle cable boats. I do compete but I do train behind older boats. I am eagerly awaiting a ZO simulator to make my slalom PP training relevant.

Eric

I am still considering fitting Zero Off to my 2003 196, yes I know it is expensive but it is a lot cheaper than upgrading to a 2008 boat. And we cant take another year training with SG and competing with ZO, We have tried all the settings and tweeks and none worked.

• Baller

Depends what the boat has in it. If it has Star Gazer than it is going to be less than $500 to upgrade. But if it has PP Classic, then you will need to upgrade to Star Gazer and the graphic display about $700 for those items.

If your still looking for a boat, I have a very nice 2001 Ski Nautique for sale, I would be willing to throw in the upgrade z-box. I need to get it sold so I can order a Promo Boat. PM me if interested and I can send details & pictures.

Kevin

• Baller

ZO Box is now available! I received the following email this morning...mac

Limited Quantity of Z Box Upgrade Released

We are pleased to announce that after final validation in Mexico and Florida, we are releasing the first order of the Z Box and version 8.0 software effective immediately.

The Z Box Upgrade Kit ($439 + $24 Fed Ex Shipping) includes a Software Download Stick and a small box that connects to the StarGazer Master Module. The Upgrade will take about 5 minutes to install and is extremely simple. (You must have a Star Gazer System).

Much like the 9 settings in the ZO system, this Upgrade will allow you to set a pull letter from A1-C3. Skiers that have experienced the Upgrade agree that the pull feel is very much like that offered from ZO. In addition, the new software features “No Magnet Timing” which allows you to run on any course without using your Smart Timer Magnet Sensor.

We do not expect this to be a high volume product and therefore PerfectPass has just 50 upgrade kits available at this time. These are only available direct from PerfectPass.

To order or for more information call us at (902) 468-2150.

Important Note: Some early StarGazer Modules from 2008 are NOT compatible with the Z Box. If you believe you purchased your upgrade in 2008 you may want to make a note of the serial # prior to contacting us.

Mechanical Master Module – Any Serial # less than SGM 1000 is affected.

DBW Master Module – Any Serial # less than SG1100 is affected.

FAQ

Q. I have a DigitalPro System (Not Star Gazer), can I upgrade?

A. Yes, but in addition to the Z Box you will require a Star Gazer Upgrade Kit. The package price for both items is $ 849. (This assumes you have a multi-line Display). If you require a new Display as well, the total packaged cost is $1029.

Q. Does it ski and feel exactly like the ZO system?

A. The upgrade is designed to simulate the pull and feel of ZO and most agree it does an excellent job. However, depending on your boat, engine, prop, elevation, skier style, etc. it may not feel exactly like ZO in your boat compared to ZO in a new 2011 boat.

Q. If I set up my new Upgrade with the No Magnet Timing method, is it ok that there are magnets in the course where I ski?

A. Yes, you will unplug your Smart Timer Magnet Sensor prior to “Mapping” your course and using your system.

Q. How many courses can be “mapped” in the system?

A. You can enter up to 3 courses.

Sales Office Hours

Monday to Friday – 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM EST

PerfectPass Control Systems Inc.

14 Trider Crescent

Dartmouth, NS B3B 1R6

Phone: (902) 468-2150

Fax: (902) 468-8837

• Baller
@Chef23 I'm thinking that's a pretty sound judgement. Undoubtedly there will be tweaking required as folks get real world experience with it. I'm not busting at the seams to get one anyway so I think I'll wait for the jury's opinion and input before dropping any bucks. Really would like to have the No Magnet Timing though.

• Baller

I just emailed them asking about any tweaks and updates that will be necessary in the coming months. If they will be free of charge, I said that I will take one...If not I said I would wait for a later more tested version.

Did you notice that the package price is only $849 to go from classic PP right up to the Star Gazer/Z Box upgrade? I think thats pretty good!