Best Quote of the year

Horton

• Baller

In line with Horton's opener. Background: my wife has skied for 22 years, but only did one year in the course about 10 years ago. At that time she could run 28 and 30, and get some buoys at 32mph (15 off). My son just left for college, so she decided to use his time slot to ski the course again. This was about 5 weeks ago. So her first day she makes some 28s and feels pretty good. Not long after, she has a day were she makes six 30s in a row. She is super pumped. Last week she makes some 30s, and runs a 32! Now she is really thinking this is a great sport. Then this morning happened . . .

She misses her opener at 28. Makes the next one but it's sloppy. Runs a couple more and wants to speed up. 28 is too slow she says -- making bad habits waiting for the ball. Up to 30 we go. Misses first one at 4 and rides out. Misses second at 6 and rides out. Then a mix of misses and makes. Runs through 5 and misses. She throws the handle and lets out a yell. I come back and the ski is still on. She says, "I can't wait until ski season is over -- this is stupid! Now pull me up!".

Clearly she's become a course skier -- cuz we've all been there!

• Baller

Chris Parrish w/Razor skiing, after punching me in the shoulder most of the way down the pass while sitting next to him: "That was IT! The difference between that and your other onside turns was like the difference between pumpkin pie and poon-tang pie...ya know what I mean, right?"

• Baller

Lucky with his southern accent impersonating a British accent: "Millitree, Millitree, Why do the British talk like that? We say Mill-i-tair-ee. Don't you say it like that?"

Me: "yes"

Lucky: "They talk like they got marbles in their mouth."

Me: "Why don't you ask Andy, he's British?"

Lucky:" You know I can't understand half the stuff that guy says.......but he can't understand half the stuff I say either."

So many Lucky quotes, so few that are fit for print....

• Baller_

Lucky is my favorite coach, but this is not a Luckyism: "Strong like bull, smart like tractor." I heard this at a high school graduation awards dinner. Fortunately, they weren't describing my son.

My favorite Luckyism: "You know when you are drivin' down the road behind a pick up and its got like a bucket or somethin' rolling around in the back and you are just waitin' for it to fall out? Well that is what I'm thinkin' about watchin' that guy ski."

Lpskier

• Baller
To Lucky's credit, it was after skiing with him and learning his technique (which I have since quit using) that I ran my very first 35 off passes some 10 years ago. Funny thing about Lucky was there were lots of Brits at his place then, and they all LOVED HIM. I like him a lot, but it does take a thicker skin to ski with him than with some other folks I've learned from!

• Baller_

I just spit out my dinner on that one! Although I had a student one time that we called "Butt Babe" for the same reason.

Lucky says some funny things, but he is a very sincere guy. He can say what he wants to me, I'll ski with him any time.

Lpskier