Power Buoys in a Public Course

skinut

• Baller
We have a public course that I ski at. The course is in a man made ski lake but there is a larger lake that is attached and the public uses. On a regular basis there will be the usual wallys that will come in and wakeboard in the course or an I/O that will come and try and slalom their boat through the buoys. My question is, will the Power Buoys hold up in the course. We usually will lose two to three turn balls a year. In most cases they are knocked off by other course skiers. I know that the PB are expensive, but I have hit several of our water filled buoys and have jammed my ankles a few times. I am just wondering if it makes sense to put the PB in or if it will just be a royal pain to fix or replace them when they get hit.

• Baller

These are more expensive; but, they are awesome. Soft and durable and the color holds up. I run them over all the time (no comments please) and no injuries to date. You can feel them when you hit them but they dunk real easy due to a slight conical shape in the lower hemisphere and they are soft.....they are also recommended by Nate Smith..FWIW

http://shop.wallyskier.com/Buoy-WallySkier-Turn-Buoy-USA-WSturnbuoy.htm

• Baller_
Water filled buoys may also be an option for you. No cost, use the buoys you have. Can even paint them with Krylon for plastics (only comes in red). I do both. Paint color never seems to fade (been almost 2 yrs on several) and never chips off. . Like the ones mentioned above, water filled buoys just dunk under or move out of the way. Takes half the air pressure and a third the weight to hold them down. Can make spares and keep in the boat.

• Baller

I had a similar problem with Walleys running over my buoys on the Wailua River in Kauai in the 9 years I lived there in the 90's. My solution was to take Black 2' diameter heavy duty PVC Sewer Pipe, 18" Long, zip tied under the buoys, with the bungee rope between the ball and the sub-buoy going through the center. The next time they ran one over it did in their prop. Within two weeks not one buoy was run over again.

With the Power Buoys you can do the same thing and enclose the three foam legs inside PVC. After they hit the first one they will respect them and never do it again...........ED

• Baller

It just looks like part of the buoy and well below the water line. It was easy for them to go around the course. They just chose to be butts and pull tubes and stuff through and over the course because the bungee had no effect if you cut it with the prop. Most people were surprised and really felt stupid for running over a Bright Orange Buoy in the first place, when they had tons of room to go around the whole course.

Most of the Walleys had outboards, so it would shear a pin and they had to paddle in. They only did it once and wouldn't go near the buoys after that. There was no logical reason for them to run a cabin cruiser, with twin outboards, pulling multiple tubes, right down the course.

Bottom line, it cured the problem !!!!

• Baller
The lake is man-made. It was/is a gravel pit that was used to build the freeway 40 years ago. The city then used the gravel pit as a lake. The north part of the lake was a canal that fed water into the lake. 15 years ago the city went in and did some work on the lake. One of our local skiers proposed extending the feeder canal, adding a turn island, and dyke. So we have a man-made ski lake on a public lake.

• Baller
There is no regulation. I guess the city is hoping for a law suit. I have seen at least 10 or more boats plus 3 or 4 jet skis in the main bay at it's busiest. It is insane and I hear stories about how people almost get killed by other boaters. The funny thing is that when it gets real crowded everyone gets their tubes out. Now that's what I call entertainment! Most of the time on these crazy days you can go back in the course and have it all to yourself or maybe one other ski boat.