Nano twist

baxter

My current average tournament score on my Goode Nano Twist Mid is up 3 buoys compared with my 2010 tournament average. I do know what my settings are. 6.817, 2.444, 0.722. 8 degrees. No ventral wing. I have heard a lot of hype about the "untwisted" version of the Nano on this forum. However, I am planning to stay on my "twisted" version. Maybe experiment a little with the mini ventral in the forward position in the spring.

• Baller
Thanks guys, I think I made a mistake and got a traditional twist. It's so unforgiving I'm down to 2-4 @ 35 rather than 2-3 @ 38 on my 9700 last year. I'm thinking of going to a 63.75 mid. as it appears to me it may be more forgiving.

• Baller
Your success (of lack thereof) is directly related to the location and amount of twist (IMO). The skiers that I've seen do well have little twist in their skis. Those that struggle have more. I could not ski the twisted version. I asked Dave back in June to make me a "non-twist" version. It performed better but still not as good as the 9900 Mid from last year. I've since sold my ski and moving back to D3's where I believe I can be more consistent.

• Baller

@jadarwin, do you know if a 9960 skis the same as a 9900 ?

Reason I ask is that not a lot of manufacturers including Goode have much info on making skis small enought for 136lb, 5'7, 55 year olds.

My Nano has what appears to be quite a bit of twist about 3/8"

• Baller

I don't know why I am thinking of this:

Scene in operations at Goode - Have Dave, this ski came out funny, it is sort of twisted, should I throw it away? Nah, we just invented the next best thing.... someone will ski better on it... yeah, that's the ticket...

Sorry, seeing sunshine for the first time in like 3 weeks must be making me crazy.

• Baller

Scott, I have wondered about bending a fin to one side or the other, or the left left wing up with more angle, sort of like pre-loading my offside turn like you do with a zero turn mower. Or kind of like having rudder torque.

Anyone ever try this?

• Baller
Broke nano with twist 8 days, Goode was very prompt with there customer service received new nano with out twist yesterday, set up ps 5's skied this afternoon, was totally impressed. without the twist ski seemed faster & more stable, turned just as well just running 28's Will add ventral tomorrow see how that feels weather permitting.

• Baller

I bought a Nano Twist based on hype from this site. I am up a full pass in the month and a half since I got it. My coach, (better known as the guy who runs our ski club), says I would not be able to ski the way I am now on my old Monza.

I have no problem throwing $$$ around when I "run out of talent".

• Baller
So, for all you Nano and other Goode model skiers out there, in your opinion(s), is speed the main attribute that makes Goode a better ski for you? I get the idea that it is, but would like to get a consensus if possible. There are other fast skis - razor, sans rival, warp, elite, A2 (?) but definitely not with the following of Goode. I like to get from turn to turn as fast as possible, so if that's the deal, then maybe I better give one a try. thanks.

• Baller

I would describe the Goodes as much quicker accross the course, easier edge change and have a much larger sweet spot. My 9900 did not turn quicker, smaller, etc than my A1. The A1 turned better. But with the 9900, if I got out of position, I would not get penalized as bad. On the A1, D3 or FI, if I got too forward or too back, I'm done. With the Goode, it won't work as well but I will continue skiing and have a opportunity to make it up.

The more I get on the front on the Goode, the better it turns. Where many other skis will break my body position or stop if I got on the front too much. The Goodes just keep going and keep the speed. Again, large sweet spot.

I don't think they do anything that is crazy, they just work.

Going to the Nano from the 9900, there was a dramatic increase in speed, to the point it was penalizing me. But the ski turned better than my 9900. So the Nano was faster and turned better. With the mini ventral, the ski slowed down to a 9900 speed, but turned even better.

And finally, I can give countless examples of skiers who have signficant issues with form yet gobble up bouys like nobody's business on the Goode. Maybe thats why we have so many Goode haters.....I agree its irritating.

• Baller
Boody - "And finally, I can give countless examples of skiers who have signficant issues with form yet gobble up bouys like nobody's business on the Goode." I immediately started thinking of and was about to name some, because you are so right, but I'll be nice.

• Baller

Scott Chipman-I'm not a real high end skier, but went from averaging 1 or 2 balls at 22 off at 34 to 2 at 28 (P.B. from today, thank you very much!)

I did not demo any other skis. Being from Canada it is not so easy to send skis back and forth. I figured that if the Nano was doing good things for so many people that is was worth a try.

Jim Brake- It is a fast ski but not fast in an out-of-control-I'm-going-to crash way. More like a "I'm going really fast but I don't even know it and Hey I'm here at the ball already" kind of way.

• Baller

So it's fast turning, fast across the course, with a big, stable sweet spot. The only question I have is what is a realistic shelf life for the Nano? Also, y'all are talking strictly about the Twist, right? Some of these comments seem to be for the Mid in general which is kind of confusing.

• Baller

The Mid ride skis allow you to ski buoy to buoy - up to a point. They are a bit harder to move out off the 2nd wake - they tend to maintain their track so if you are running late, it is difficult to move the ski out to a wider point but it does allow you to ski more narrow and get out of the buoy in good shape. But, at some point as the rope gets shorter, the "buoy to buoy" path will bite you.

Coming off D3's, that was the most common trait I could determine. Now that I'm back on a D3 (traditional shape ski), I can definitely tell a difference off the 2nd wake. If you don't move the D3 out, you can't make a narrow, sharp turn as you can on a Mid. But, if you do move it out, it carves much better than the Mid and carries speed thru the arc in a much smoother fashion - doesn't start/stop like the Mid Ride. The Mid Ride will get you some buoys but it's not a ski that allows you to formulate good technique (IMO).

• Baller

Hard part is many of us do not have the time or ski availability to demo a bunch of skis. Before I took a chance on the Razor last year, I would have loved to try a Z7 ST and a X7 (fusion was not yet available) as I was a long term D3 skier. Kinda feel like I got lucky on the Razor and glad I did it in the end.

• Baller

Installed the ventral on nano w/o the twist and skied

today water temp 53 second time out on this ski I must say the ventral locked this ski in as far angle and keeping the tip down, wide and early running 32's , wind was breeze 10-12, I must say the nano I ended up breaking was a early edition compared to this one w/o the twist I believe that the first nano was way off because there is no comparison between the two, the new nano w/o the twist is what all the hype is about o