Ski Partners & Coaching

jipster43

• Baller
When y'all are out running the course, do you get coaching from your partner between passes, or do you prefer to discuss things after your set? When the season began I was very anxious to get feedback on my skiing, but as the season wore on I found I was usually aware of what I wasn't doing and sometimes having someone point it out took me out of my head a little bit. Comments like, "you're breaking at the waist" or "you need a better gate" would often cause frustration rather than focus, and no one needs focus more than me!

• Baller

The problem I see is that the comments you're getting aren't coaching. They're merely observation as to what the byproduct of your mistake is. A coach will point out what you did or didn't do prior that caused you to break at the waist, not just that you broke at the waiste.

My ski partner had his own ski school for years. He truly coaches me. And as he's done so over the last year, I'm finding that I've become much more perceptive to my mistakes and not just the byproduct of them. He makes me tell him what happened at the end of a pass. And if I say something like "I broke at the waiste." He'll say I know that, but why? He also tells me in advance what is going to happen in a given situation. When it then happens, I can be cognizant of that for the next time. You have to be open to this type of coaching. One of our other ski partners can't take this. He is very close minded and won't listen. And as a result, he's been stuck at 2-3 at 38 for 5 years.

• Baller_
I will add IMHO that a good coach will point out and get you to UNDERSTAND what you are doing right. It not only builds confidence but will build knowledge as to what techniques are working. It will allow the skier to continue to capitalize on them rather than all the focus being on the bad. With just the bad being the focus, we forget about what works and that often gets lost. I will coach by saying what the skier is doing right first so that it is ingrained and not lost while he/she works on what can be changed in what is said next.

• Baller

Up north, we sort of say why waste a whole round of skiing? I'd rather try to correct something right away. The more you ski wrong, the more your muscle memory will lock it in place.

Instead of just saying you are breaking at the waist, I stand up in the boat when the skier is dropped in the water, and hook up to the pylon sometimes when needed, and show them what is going on. I will say get your left or right hip up to the handle and lock it in, or your shoulders are like this, and they should be like this, etc., and SHOW them what it should look like. I think visualation is important, at least to me, so I sort of assume it is for everyone else. Maybe that is right or wrong, but that is how we do it.

• Baller
For the record I am a huge fan of coaching. I came to the course with a lifetime of horrible habits, and I'm fortunate enough to have ski partners who are willing to dish it out - usually very effectively. I was just curious how most of you approach it. There are several folks at our lake who would prefer not to hear anything while they're skiing. I usually want to hear it while I'm skiing, but sometimes the coaching will muddle my puny brain with another thing to think about... a fraction of a second too late.

• Baller

I never tell the skier what they're doing wrong. Instead, I ask them to do something a certain way to eliminate what they were doing wrong. I don't say "your gate was to narrow," I say "try pulling further up on the boat this time and turn in slower."

For myself, I get coaching from the boat when I can. I also have someone video for me as I watch enough great skiers that I know what it should look like and I can look at video of myself and decide what to change next.