Late season, cold water sets

Razorskier1

• Baller

Man do I love the late season, cold water sets! After spending the entire spring and summer chasing shortline, it is so relaxing to go out and just ski a bunch of 28s and 32s when everyone else on the lake has their docks out. After not skiing for two weeks to let an injury recover, my wife pulled me last night on my typical cold water monster set after work. We started before six and the sun was going down on our east-west course, but because of the time of year, it was off to the 2/4/6 side rather than right in the driver path (which my wife appreciated). When it is cold and I know I'm only getting in the water once, I ski monster sets. Last night I ran twenty 28s and six 32s. By the time I was finishing the sun had dropped below the tree line and it was getting to be dark quickly.

What I love about this time of year is (a) no boat traffic, (b) no pressure to run 35 and deeper, © I get to focus on technique and just have fun, (d) cold water is sooooo fast! With very little energy I can generate terrific speed and the ski just keeps on running from ball to ball. What a great sport! I'm glad Horton gives us this forum to share our love of the game!

• Supporting Member

26 passes, at ANY line length, is absolutely amazing. My body breaks down and I go net backwards if I ever do more than 10. Maybe 16 over two sets, I guess.

With your regimen, I could support a chiropracter, a physical therapist, and a massage therapist all by myself!!

But I will agree that late season cold water can be pretty awesome. In fact, 50% of my life-time -38s (aka 2 of them) were in October wearing a drysuit.

I find it strange that early season cold water seems hard and unforgiving, but late season cold water can feel really good.

• Baller

Air temps are in the low 50s, I suspect water about the same. Wearing a BARE drysuit.

OB -- gotta do what you gotta do! Adam told me to come to ATL to ski this weekend, but I don't think that's in the cards -- used up a lot of hall passes this year.

Than -- totally agree -- it feels fast and 'hard' in the spring, but awesome in the fall. I don't get that either.

Nashville public lake rats are getting it too. 68 last Monday. Cold and rainy all week with more than an ample amount of wind. Should be 60 today. yuk! I hate winter!

• Baller
MS -- just finished second set of 20 passes. Good fun. Plan to keep it in the water for the rest of the month for sure, then see what November gives me. Bigger problem is low water. Lift is all the way down just to get the boat to roll off. If we don't get some rain that will end my season.

• Baller
I couldn't find anyone to ski with today, but then a buddy from Kalispell, MT called and was in town, so we cruised out to the lake. Sixty degrees out and glassy waters... until I jumped in. The wind kicked up immediately and suddenly I was skiing six inch swells and taking abuse from the boat spray. I'm hoping things calm down by tomorrow. The weather is turning quick at the beginning of the week. Peace and love! Peace and love!

• Baller
Beautiful epic sunny day at Piney with MS and Mrs. Water was 54-56 F degrees. Wore my Psycho full suit. Just right! Felt like a second skin. I like it much better than my drysuit. Skied OK on my Fish too! I don't normally ski well in cold water so that was encouraging. MS was playing a lot with his big caliper and stick. Skiing is always fun and interesting with MS!!

• Administrators

I had to flush out a ski last Sat for a friend. 4 to 6 passes then back to dock to tweak settings - repeat.

At least 120 balls in total. Lost track 2/3s of way.

Tried to ski on Nano Twist Sunday. Should have stayed home. The ski is interesting but the skier was junk. Still skied 60 balls Sunday. I am still feeling it today.

• Administrators

I had to flush out a ski last Sat for a friend. 4 to 6 passes then back to dock to tweak settings - repeat.

At least 120 balls in total. Lost track 2/3s of way.

Tried to ski on Nano Twist Sunday. Should have stayed home. The ski is interesting but the skier was junk. Still skied 60 balls Sunday. I am still feeling it today.

Was minding my own business at work on Saturday when Turbogoose, AKA North Guy called and was longing for a set. So, I bolted for home and hooked up the 2011 6.0 Litre Malibu RLXI and headed for the "Big" lake. (where lake people hang). The boat ramp was not crowded with bass boats, so, it looked promising. I had called my long lost buddy, Van East to join us, and he showed up. We had a great 2 hours on the water, then enjoyed a few frosty ones before the 68 degree air decided to head south and the sun dropped like a bullet below the horizon. The water temp was low 60's and there was not an excessive amount of glare. No need for rubber yet. The lack of humidity made the air seem cooler than it actually was, but dropping at each end was a warming experience. We have a 80 degree forecast for tomorrow so it looks like afternoon hooky from work. Any takers, just show up a Percy Priest Lake in Smyrna, Tennessee.

Was minding my own business at work on Saturday when Turbogoose, AKA North Guy called and was longing for a set. So, I bolted for home and hooked up the 2011 6.0 Litre Malibu RLXI and headed for the "Big" lake. (where lake people hang). The boat ramp was not crowded with bass boats, so, it looked promising. I had called my long lost buddy, Van East to join us, and he showed up. We had a great 2 hours on the water, then enjoyed a few frosty ones before the 68 degree air decided to head south and the sun dropped like a bullet below the horizon. The water temp was low 60's and there was not an excessive amount of glare. No need for rubber yet. The lack of humidity made the air seem cooler than it actually was, but dropping at each end was a warming experience. We have a 80 degree forecast for tomorrow so it looks like afternoon hooky from work. Any takers, just show up a Percy Priest Lake in Smyrna, Tennessee.

• Baller

I skied my last set today. It was 40 degrees and rainy, but the water was glass calm and the rain took a break long enough for me to get four passes in. I skied better than I had all year but decided to stop without going for a PB. The rain started coming down hard, we still needed to pull the course, and it just seemed like the zen thing to do.

It's strangely liberating not having to fit a ski into my day... until the snow begins to fly.

• Baller

I skied my last set today. It was 40 degrees and rainy, but the water was glass calm and the rain took a break long enough for me to get four passes in. I skied better than I had all year but decided to stop without going for a PB. The rain started coming down hard, we still needed to pull the course, and it just seemed like the zen thing to do.

It's strangely liberating not having to fit a ski into my day... until the snow begins to fly.

Looks like today could be the last 80 degree day this season. 74 tomorrow. 56 and rain/thunder storms Thursday. 53 Friday. and so on. Oh well, if we can get a set per week until Thanksgiving, It's a great year. Then it's time to break out the single malt!

Looks like today could be the last 80 degree day this season. 74 tomorrow. 56 and rain/thunder storms Thursday. 53 Friday. and so on. Oh well, if we can get a set per week until Thanksgiving, It's a great year. Then it's time to break out the single malt!