Largest Cluster of lakes

rodltg2

• Administrators

Don't forget that there are 2 more within 5 miles (east).

That photo is from early this spring. You can see that the North East most lake is dry. They re-dug it in record time this year.

• Administrators

The die is totally different because the lakes are managed by different people.

The lakes are empty Monday - Friday. A few mid week skiers but not a lot.

• Baller
The fellow we contracted our sound system at the last INT US Championships gave me the 411 on the history dating back to when he was a kid and the area was the Arvin Gun and Hunt Club. The 90' skeet tower is still on the corner of Milleux road where he loaded skeet, did barrel and box birds for all the Hollywood stars who would convoy up from LA for a weekend of debauchery. The lake originally were for catfish farms.Also spoke of a high security Air Force/ Convair site just to the south where planes would magically appear and disappear. Rumor has it when the stars and planets line up properly Gallagher and the Ball of Hair channel Gary Cooper and Gaga. When they are out of wack it's more Larry, Moe and Curley.

• Baller
Ski West & Paradise (the dark blue lakes) have more owners to spread the cost of dye. Ski West and Paradise also their own wells and have the dye injected into the water when it is pumped into the lakes. The other lakes which are greener share a well and do not have the injection system. They also have about 6 owners per lake which makes the cost fairly high.

• Baller
I'm one of the mid-week morning skiers at the 2 lakes farthest west. Rarely any boats working at any of the lakes except during summer. Most homes are 2nd homes with few full time residents. The 2 lakes 5 miles east of the photo probably have the most full timers and the lakes form a very nice little community. You just need to work in the Bako area cause it's a 90 mile commute to downtown LA with lots of traffic at drive time. I drive 2 hours, 130 miles each way from the OC but avoid heavy traffic times.

• Baller

I'm willing to bet there at least 100 man made ski lakes in California and probably at least an other 20 quarry/burrough pits. Just off the top of my head I came up with this list and I sure there are much more.

Redding area -3

Red Bluff Area -3

Orland/Chico - 8

Yuba / Marysville - 3

Lincoln - 4

Sac area - 10

Davis/Dixon -3

Central Valley - 15

Newberry - 8

Arvin / Bako -16

San Diego -2