women's ski help

itch2ski

I've been lurking and reading for a while now and finally decided to join. I figure if there is a group that can give some insight it's the ballers.

I'm searching for a ski for my wife and am looking for opinions. Also wondering what all the ladies/men's girlfriends or wives on here ride.

Some background: 5 feet tall, 110 lbs, all free skiing for now, but starting the course in the spring. She skis at 15off and 29-30mph (which will slow down when she starts the course).

Here are some of the skis I have looked into: Obrien Prima 64", Obrien Synchro 63", Obrien Siege 64.5", HO Couture 65", HO Muse 65", HO Siren 63", Connelly SP 64".

I know some of these skis are like apples to oranges, thats why I'm looking for opinions. For example, one concern I have is regarding the HO Muse. Great ski to learn on, but is she going to want something better in a year or two? Being that it is a wider more buoyant ski is it going to bounce across the wake instead of cut through it? A wide 65" seems like a lot of ski for how small she is. The 63" HO Siren seems more fitting being a wide ski (although it is hard to find since its discontinued). Also, I haven't found any reviews/opinions regarding the Obrien Prima (maybe too high end for her?).

Thanks!

• Baller

65" Radar Senate if she's even remotely aggressive. Started a friend on one last year (about same size as your wife), she was skiing at 28 mph 15 off when she started, PB'd late this season 4 balls @ 34 mph. This ski will work for her current level and have the head room to take her well down the path before needing a better ski. Need'nt be a brand new one either, plenty of them available in great shape used or last seasons leftovers at real reasonable prices. Check Ski It Again for starters. Best of luck.

Ed

• Administrators

Some of these skis may have changed since I looked last but

Radar Lyric & HO Couture are safe calls among new (not high) end skis.

I know at least one of the O'Brien's is a good ski but I forget what model it is.

• Baller_

O'Brien made a ski called a SixAm 2point. silver top and blue top's. The ski is very forgiving has a big sweet spot and came in a few lengths. My wife ride's a 66" however she says it feels to big for her I say she looks great on the ski. Any way I found about a dozen new ones and have purchased a 64.5 for her.

Price is right at $350.00 blank (their are more). four years ago I watched Andy run 41 at Callaway Gardens on a 66" 2 point, pulled his boot off it and handed it to me and said happy birthday!

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't familiar enough with D3 skis to know which one would be good for someone on her level. I can get some screaming deals on HO's so I might demo a Couture and see how she likes it.

Any input on the wider skis? Seems like there is a trend toward wide rides for intermediate skiers...

• Baller
I may have something at home that would be perfect, and almost free (ask thager). I have KD CR7 that my wife used to ski on and she is about the same size as your wife. She skis mostly open water, but occasionally skis the course at 28, 30 and 32 mph. I can't recall if it is a 64 or a 65. I'll check and get back to you if you are interested.

• Baller
I may have something at home that would be perfect, and almost free (ask thager). I have KD CR7 that my wife used to ski on and she is about the same size as your wife. She skis mostly open water, but occasionally skis the course at 28, 30 and 32 mph. I can't recall if it is a 64 or a 65. I'll check and get back to you if you are interested.

I'm in the same boat as Jody Seal... I bought the wife a 64" O'brien Sixam 2 Point (The blue top). The extra width makes it easier for her to get out of the water, yet it is still a a top level ski made of quality materials. It's a ski that's forgiving enough for her to learn at her own pace, yet is good enough that she will probably never out perform it.

I'm in the same boat as Jody Seal... I bought the wife a 64" O'brien Sixam 2 Point (The blue top). The extra width makes it easier for her to get out of the water, yet it is still a a top level ski made of quality materials. It's a ski that's forgiving enough for her to learn at her own pace, yet is good enough that she will probably never out perform it.

• Baller

I AM a women skier. I LOVE my D3. I skied a D3 rose for several years - just switched to a D3 Z7 ST Diamond. It is soft and forgiving, and I'm skiing a lot more consistently with it. I am getting my 32/15 pass more consistently and working on a 32/22 (I am old - no 34 mph needed).

• Baller

I AM a women skier. I LOVE my D3. I skied a D3 rose for several years - just switched to a D3 Z7 ST Diamond. It is soft and forgiving, and I'm skiing a lot more consistently with it. I am getting my 32/15 pass more consistently and working on a 32/22 (I am old - no 34 mph needed).