Need Jody's Help! Or others. Boat not starting

Not_The_Pug

• Baller

Have a 2001 Nautique that is blowing the inline battery fuse every time I hit the starter to actually start the motor. Have replaced the starter/starter relay and two black fuses at the rear of the motor. Anyone else ever have anything like this? My friend thinks the key pad might be bad. I'm going to check the battery cable to see if it might be shorting out when I can be home from work a day without it being dark.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Baller
Kevin, use a screwdriver or make a short jumper wire to jump across the starter solenoid terminals to start it. This will verify if it's in the wiring and/or switch or if it's in the power and/or starter. I'd advise to check the battery cables. We had a 2001 196 that would blow the main fuse and wouldn't start. Turned out to be a bad battery cable.

• Baller_

Does not sound like a key pad issue.

First I would Isolate the motor from the boat harness and see if the motor will run. Not recommended to jump across starter solenoid, Makes dangerous sparks and screws up screw drivers and solenoid's.

Also since their is a known Short in the circuitry back feed the circuit by shorting out the solenoid might cause damage.

Shane might be on the right track with the battery cables. I would take a look at the wires going to the power distribution box mounted to your bulk head under the dash.

I like to start at one end of the problem and try and isolate circuits for problems.

• Baller
I bought a '00 196 w/just 84 hours. It must have spent lots of time sitting. Blew the fuse a few times...wouldn't happen every time. Mechanic suggested some corrosion causing resistance on starting and overloading the fuse. He thought given enough time/starts/regular use it would go away and it did. Didn't happen at all last season.