Tournament Homologation/Homologators

ral

• Baller

We are having a bit of a polemic discussion in our end of the world regarding this. There was one statement saying that in the USA, this was always a professional activity, with Homologators charging no less than US$ 800 per tournament.

Need to hear your views and comments on this.

• Baller

I've done a lot of free ones. I'm charging $200 for some of them now. I had to replace about $1500 of my gear last year.

The ones I do are at sites that have held multiple record tournaments in the past.

$800 would be cheap for a pro tournament at a site that has no courses or jump pre installed.

I think it will get worse rather than better. For example, increased requirements/costs for wireless video transmission for 3-event record tournaments are going to have to be recovered somewhere... If we have to purchase the equipment to provide it, to amortize the costs will take how many tournaments at what acceptable rate?

Heaven forbid we drop an EDM or theodolite- Repairs are pricey and not normally a one or two day reality.

• Baller

If you rent a Total station, better take out their insurance. Many of those rentals are worth $15K to $35K. I've got a clunker that I bought for $2500 years ago.

Ral, if the club has all their own gear and set it up, that is a TC dream come true.

• Baller

Oh, I was teasing about the airfare...if it wasn't so darn expensive to get there, I'd be happy to do whatever I can.

I know I'm like many other TC's who do it because we want too. I've never asked anything in return and I've been fortunate to work with several clubs who were basically as 'user friendly' as possible which makes life easy. Sounds like your club is pretty much the same.

• Baller

@klindy, I reread my posting and maybe it can be read on a way that does not reflect what I was trying to say.

The kind of stuff that kills the sport is a fight between people here that resulted in two tournaments not being accepted as "L" by the IWSF and a third one being postponed in short notice from Dec to Apr for the same reason.