The Swing

thager

• Baller

When my position is right so that the boat can do the work, I get effortless acceleration and a kick to wide with tight line off the second wash. The building of speed, momentum and outbound direction when it feels like I did little to create it...that's the swing to me.

For me the swing provided by the boat is more prominent at short line when I'm in the correct position to take advantage. I believe this is why, when skied right, the short line passes sometimes feel so easy. If only I were more consistent...

• Baller

I believe ZO has really changed they "Swing" because of the momentum it can propel you with.

If done correctly, ZO can boost you for the swing. I try to hide from ZO from the apex to the hookup by sliding to the hookup. Once the 2nd hand is on the handle it is a matter of shifting COM in the direction of travel with load on the front foot. Trying to get a quick powerful load of COM forward at the hookup will now alert ZO your there and it will react with equal or slightly more power. The pressure builds very quickly so releasing the front foot pressure approaching the center wake, allowing the knees to come up, and the ski passes under you from edge to edge, forming the reverse C position. Key is keeping the upper body from swinging up during the edge change. You want the real "Swing" to take place with the lower body in a dynamic fashion. Especially as the line gets shorter.

One trick I have worked on is to use the center wake as a little ramp during the edge change to help "Swing" the ski to the opposite edge in an outbound direction. Works great for 28 -35 @ 34 mph. For 38-41, you hookup closer to the wake, so you can do the same thing with the 2nd wake at those line lengths.

I would like to hear if others are doing this or any variations they have figured out.

Thanks, ED

• Baller

Since everything I do depends on what I did before it, it is important for me to flow in a sequence. To follow that sequence I have KEY words that mentally trigger that sequence. I follow Newton's Law, that for every Action, there is an Equal and Opposite Reaction. So that tells me if I use half the course to accelerate, then I need the other half to decelerate. So Apex, my slowest point, start of acceleration, to wake centerline: SLIDE - TWIST........ Wake Centerline to Apex, deceleration Zone, SWING - COUNTER.

SLIDE: What I am looking for is NO ROTATION, level shoulders, slide the hip to the handle.

Best described in Bruce B's article on Staying Open: "QUOTE'

Photo 4. Eyes and shoulders level, facing downcourse

The completion of the turn is where keeping the shoulders still has huge benefits. Turning the shoulders through the turn will typically overturn the ski and put the ski in a stopping position. Ever blow out the tail on an offside turn? Its a safe bet the shoulders turned and dropped. Ever wheelie on either side? Usually caused by the shoulders turning toward the wakes. Even without the revenge of Zero-off, the turn and stop will almost always result in overloading and the arms getting pulled out away from the body. Keeping the shoulders facing downcourse through the turn keeps the weight centered on the ski and puts the ski in an accelerating position.

TWIST: My key word to tell me at hookup to twist my hips and lower body COM, in the direction of travel. Front arm pushes straight, rear arm bent and helps to twist the hips in direction of travel, with back butt cheek lowest to the water. COM goes ahead of feet with front foot pressure. Loads ZO and ZO loads back. Action - Reaction.... Release of pressure helps create momentum for Swing. The rest we already explained above.

Bottom Line: I am in no way telling anyone to do what I am doing. This is what works for me. However, I feel that everything happens so fast in the course that as Shane pointed out, it is a lot to think about. I have found that I need to break my moves down to 4 sections and name each section to trigger the reactions I want in the course. You have to find what works for YOU, whatever style that may be, and what ever Key Words you devise to accomplish YOUR moves. I really want to hear from others who have developed techniques to be the most efficient and win the tug of war with ZO.

Ski Well, ED