My 409 is Eating Spark Plugs !!!

Ed_Johnson

• Baller

Wonder if Jody or anyone has heard of this problem ?

When my CC200 with the 409 reached 80 hrs. it started missing really badly. Since it was under warranty I called the dealer and he sent a Tech Rep to the house to try the boat out. Put in a new set of plugs and everything was fine. Yesterday, now at 165 hrs, the same problem occurred. After the 4th pass, went to come out of the water and the driver shut the boat down. There it was again, missing and idling like a fuel dragster.

I thought the AC Delco plugs that the factory used must be cheapo and I should get a higher quality plug like Bosch Platinum, or something like that. I go to a Auto Specialty Store, explain the situation to the Rep,and give him one of the AC Plugs to cross reference. He checks the computer and tells me that the Plugs I have, AC Delco number 8#41-110, are "Iridium," and the best available. So I get another set, put them in, and the boat runs great....The question is, will these only last eighty hours again ???

PS: When I pulled the old plugs out I looked for one to be really bad but they all looked the same. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, ED

• Baller

It felt to me like one plug was missing badly, not all eight. All plugs looked relatively the same. No burnt electrodes or excessive carbon buildup.

If it happens again, I will change them one at a time and run it, to see if I can find the guilty cylinder.

The strange thing is it happened both times close to eighty hours with no warning. Both times I had completed 4 passes, everything running fine, and the driver shutdown the boat pulling me up on the 5th pass, saying , "Somethings really wrong."