What are the positives of AWSA being a part of USA WaterSki?

Horton

• Administrators

There has been a fair amount of talk on the forum in the last month about USA WaterSki and AWSA. I've seen more than one comment about seceding from the union. The question that I would like to see discussed is:

what are the positives of the umbrella organization. I'm specifically not asking for the negatives.

What are the benefits to three event skiers being under the umbrella of the larger organization?

• Baller_

1. Larger membership numbers give us more clout with other industries, groups, governments and advertisers.

2. Larger membership numbers may result in lower insurance premiums from Global Marine.

3. Having one administrative staff for all the different sports has to be more economical, thereby probably helping to keep our dues down.

5. By having one NGB, we avoid each sport working at cross purposes with each other or from trying to poach sponsors, etc. "United we stand" and so on.

6. AWSA alone never would have been able to afford a cool new headquarters.

7. Fundraising is (or could be) spread out over a more divergent group.

8. Funds from the "wealthier" sports can be directed to the "poorer" sports to help with their programs and teams.

9. A single magazine reminds us the our sport just isn't slalom or three event. Action water sports has many facets, and many of the issues that are important to water ski are important to other groups, too.

Lpskier

• Administrators
I can already feel the dissenters. Don't do it don't tell @lpskier why you disagree. This thread is for the Pros not the cons. We are sort of list making...

• Administrators
@lpskier No No not what I want. Let me tweak my post... If I am going to throw someone to the wolves it will be Darwin or Lee or Dirt.

• Gold Member

#1 has got to be the biggest benefit: Larger political profile.

At my home Lake Cochituate, we try to be allied with all recreational interests -- yes including tournament bass fishing. The basic theory is that we all have something very big to lose and should be united against the "water is only for looking at quietly" crowd.

At a more international level, if wakeboarders and cable parks start getting banned, wanna guess who's next?

• Baller

Total USAWS - 16824

ABC (barefoot) 517

AKA (kneeboard) 145

AWSA - 8180

NCWSA - 885

NP (no pref) 42

NSSA (show ski) 5393

NWSRA (racing) 432

USHA (hydrofoil) 108

USAWB (wakeboard) 1033

WSDA (disabled) 89

Each is represented on the USAWS board.

• Baller_
That's pretty eye opening, isn't it. AWSA has twice the clout with the other groups merged in. Hydrofoil has 168 times the clout. I am surprised that the wake board number is as small as it is and that the show ski number is as big as it is. If we bail, we should take the show skiers with us.

Lpskier

• Administrators

Wait STOP. For once will you guys stay on topic?

What are the positives of AWSA being a part of USA WaterSki?

I am trying to lay out pros and cons. I can't do that if you guys will not stay on topic just once.

• Baller
At one point, it made sense to combine forces for inclusion in the USOC. Not certain that still holds true but if so, that would be a positive. For insurance underwriting, the more numbers would work in favor of everyone and prevent a case of negative selection. Another would be if the sponsors of the organization categorizes all "towed water sports" under one heading. If so, then the inclusion of the show ski crowd helps the cause.

• Baller_

Personally at this stage I can not think of any positives of AWSA being a sport group under the USAWS umbrella!

However their are plenty of positives Of AWSA.

1. the Junior developmental programs are fantastic! The members that volunteer to facilitate these programs are second to none.

2. for the most part the general skiing members are positive, energetic and are very helpful to new skiers.

3. Judges development program is getting better provided they can keep up with the techno-nerds.

4. Media communication/information through regional web sites (and Now BOS) are beginning to make a real positive impact.

5. membership renewals revolve annually now on a initial join date and not the 1st of Jan as before.

6. for the most part most of our Our committees are doing a adequate job of dispensing the organizations business (However!).

Could AWSA run their own affairs with out the umbrella organization? Better? Be successful and more profitable and equitable for their members? I think yes to all!