Bilge Pumps

xrated

• Baller

Looking for a good quality bilge pump. One that will work well and that will spend about a month submerged out of the year. It actually will not be going into a boat but will be used to transfer sap from a storage tank into the cooker for syrup.

I know this may sound like an odd thing and BOS might seem an odd spot to ask about it, but I figured the fine folks on here might no a thing or two about quality bilge pumps.

Sap is fairly thin. It takes a lot of boiling to evaporate the water to make syrup. Most that I see don't use the submersible pumps, but the Jabsco transfer pumps with a flexible, and replaceable impeller. They are $300 versus $60, but may be cheaper over the long run.

• Baller

@Kelvin, it is literally almost all water. 50 gallons or so boiled to get 1 gallon sap.

@boarditup thanks I will take a look at those. At this point anything that lets us move the sap from the holding tank without a 5 gallon pail and a ladder is the goal.

• Baller

@xrated, I'd look at something like a diaphragm pump which generally work well on higher viscosity liquids. I know that sap is pretty much water but a pump like this with some creative plumbing and valving would have the ability to pump the sap/syrup/whatever to/from all the various tanks.

here's a link to Grainger for some options - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pumps/ecatalog/N-bir