Speed control for dummies

WBLskier

• Baller
Can anyone comment on what kind of speed control system would be available and worthwhile to add to a 98 malibu echelon with a 325 hp EFI monsoon? I currently have no speed control system. What would I be looking at for cost (assuming I can't install it myself). Thanks.

• Baller
Well, for slalom, you really only have one option,, cost is a factor that you can control, if you don't want the best... You cant do Zero Off on that boat due to ECM / Drive by Wire incompatibilities. So the best option would be stargazer and zbox. That (should) give you a ZO type of pull. Cost. Check the perfect pass website, but from what I gathered, for Stargazer $1349 (for non DBW boats like yours) then you could add the optiona Zbox for $439. the install at a shop would be most likely and additional $600. You can do it yourself, but its a servo/throttle cable, so its going to take some tinkering with to get it right. Other cheaper options? Ger an older perfect pass system. Can probably find one used for $500.. (check e-bay and ski it again) you wont have zbox, but it will be an older RPM based system. I had one for 6 years and it was fine.

• Baller
There several options out there. Perfect Pass,Perfect Pass Stargazer, & Stargazer w/Zbox are IMO the best options for that boat. If you are a poor boy like me find a used PP system on skiitagain.com. You can probaley find a display/brain box/servo used for $400 or less. You can put it in your self

• Baller

Thanks. I'm skiing on a pretty large public lake in the twin cities (MN), so set up distance is not an issue. I'm not currently skiing tourneys, but one of the reasons is that I haven't been skiing with speed control and I think I need some practice using it to be able to start back up with tournaments after 10 or more years not skiing them. In practice w/o speed control I ski into 35 off at 36 and 38 off at 34 if that makes a difference.

Is an older PP system going to give me much benefit of getting used to the feel of ZO over just old school driving/timing?

• Baller
I have only skied on perfect pass pro a couple of times. It has a firmer pull than stargazer, but if you start out with Stargazer you will do fine. You already slalom better than I do. When I first got behind perfect pass after only skiing behind manual drivers, I found it to be the smoothest pull I ever had. When you get behind stargazer I guarantee you will love it. If you do get behind a ZeroOff boat, just use the B2 setting which is the neutral setting. I would only spend the money on the Zbox if you ZeroOff completely screws you up when you ski on it. I had Stargazer installed on my 1994 Ski Nautique in 2008. Since I have been skiing behind it my consistency in the course has improved in the last 3 seasons more than the previous 10 years combined. In most conditions(up to 12-15 mph winds and whitecaps) I can get into 32 off just about every time. I was averaging 4@32off in practice @34MPH cold off the dock every time. I picked up a tip at a tournament in august which has helped me run 32 off. After the middle of august I got 1-2@ 35off cold off the dock every time behind both ZeroOff and Stargazer. I trick ski too. Stargazer is great for slalom, but even better for trick skiing. If you get into 35 and 38 off you will not have any trouble...

• Baller
Ryno makes an excellent point, but there will only be 50 Zbox systems available. I checked the perfectpass website. If you can't get the Zbox, then the Stargazer 3 event is the way to go. I have not bothered to upgrade my system above the original stargazer(still uses the paddlewheel) because it works very well on my boat. If you ski with a portable slalom course, then magnets may be the way to go.

IMO getting a wake edition should not be your first choice... What if Z BOX is down? Simply run SG mode and your still skiing... If you have Wake edition, your surfing or boarding.

Do yourself a favor and get Stargazer with Z Box. At least that way there is a back up. Nothing worse than having a screwed up ski day as a result of speed control. Especially if your not fortunate enough to live on a private site and have to drag your gear around. Imagine a weekend at the lake and the Z Box craps out on you on friday night knowing Sat and Sun are no (quality) ski days because you saved a hundred bucks on a Wake Edition... I wouldnt think you would have problems with Z Box but I have had a smart timer go bad and it sucks to load up early. I like having a back up.

@Klondike Have you ever used Stargazer wake edition?

I used it on my boat for 2 years (before I added Z box to it) and in basic slalom mode it still ran decent times/average speed through the course.

Throwing an additional $300 down the toilet to gain magnet timing, for just in case your Z box fails (which no one has reported happening yet) seems absurd.

@ryno I guess we will disagree on this one! Z Box is to new to decide if it will fail or not... Its winter north of the equator so a lot of us who installed Z Box have not been able to put enough time on it. Decent times are just that, Decent... If the guy is wanting to train and get back to competing then IMO he should get something that will get him there, not "decent", I can hand drive decent enough to keep times within so if he is looking for decent just practice hand driving and save all the money and get a great ski!

If you purchase the wake version of stargazer, with a simple reset and you can choose the 3 event version. The only difference is you don't have a magnet sensor, which you don't need if you purchase a z-box.

So you can still get the three event for the same price as the wake, just without the magnet sensor.

I originaly had the wake version on my boat and did not like it, so I reprogrammed to 3 event and like it a lot better. You can also run the 3 event without a timer, I did buy one later though.