level

block

• Baller_
May be a little crazy but someone told me that wearing a baseball cap low on the brow (worn tight so as to not fall off) keeps the eyes up and level. Because your eyes will see the brim of the cap and it being level or not compaired to horizon. Also if your head is looking down at bouys the brim will block forward view.

• Baller

John,

First, make sure you start your countered position with head and shoulders level.

Second, focus on sliding the hips (COM) to the handle without REACHING with the back arm and keep from rotating shoulders to the inside.

Third, where you look is important. Do not look past the rope till hookup. Focus more down course.

These work for me when I do them right........ED

• Baller

I agree with Ed. I will also that each step builds off the next, so for example, the sequence must be:

1-drive the inside half of your body slightly forward which will keep you traveling out as well as wash the ski out from under you in order to get edge pressure without moving to the inside

2-make sure that the inside hip is the main element of this countering move such that the inside hip is pointed in the direction you wish to travel as you exit the turn.

3-to some extent allow the turn to begin on its own based on how well you accomplished #1 and #2, but also insure as Ed said that your COM (guided by that inside hip) moves in the direction you wish to go (in other words forward and across course). That hip sliding will limit your shoulders ability to drop.

4-patiently ride the edge of the ski back to the handle so that you are already accelerating as your outside hand finds the handle.

My two cents...or really my comments added to Ed Johnson's accurate 2 cents.

• Baller_

Seth is a tough act to follow, but a trick I learned was to take my releasing hand and "check my wallet", i.e. free hand to corresponding butt check with a reasonably straight arm. This has the effect (at least for me) of not only countering my shoulders, but initiating the turn with and rotating my hips while at the same time keeping my head up. If you have first dropped your head and shoulders, you can't counter, and the fact that you are reaching further to check your wallet is the confirmation that you are out of position. After you do it correctly for a while, you will counter naturally and and can just stop thinking about the cue.

The beauty of the cue is that you don't have to think about what to do with all three body parts individually (head, shoulders and hips). All you have to remember is to "check your wallet."

Seth, I'd love to hear your feedback on this.

Lpskier

• Baller
Check your wallet, pull the chain saw/lawn mower starter, etc, as you "pull" back with our off hand, you pull you outside shoulder level and countered. I do this until I scramble, then I flail my arm all over the place.