Running a Ski Club.....Is it worth it anymore?

• Baller

I'm getting back into the swing of things for the summer. Just read most of the thread on the new driver programs.

So about half way through it I seriously started to wonder if I can make the club I have built up over the past couple years work.

I run a non-traditional waterski club. I worked for 3 months to get a slalom course permit on our public lake. Once a week we pull skiers through the course one evening. Lane Bowers came out last summer and we did a 3 day barefoot clinic. At the end of the season we hosted a figure 8 barefoot tournament. Nobody in our club is a crazy tournament skier at this point, but still.....some great skiers.

I used to be a show skier but I left it due to politics. Safety of our show team was always second place to having a better show. I can't even watch their shows anymore because of the safety issues.

So I'm feeling an enormous task on my back. I need to get people safety qualified again. Then i need to get an instructor out to certify barefooting and slalom skiing driving. Since I personally hold an instructor rating I need to go do my work to get it back. USAwaterski won't even answer the phone....??

Tim

• Baller

@OB, if I could stop working, I would chase a little white ball...besides skiing and running the lake.

By the way, the club house is progressing and looking GOOD. Will have world class facilities for changing and relaxing in a few weeks, maybe more ballers will come instead of freezing their a%#es in southern Canada.

• Baller
@OB - when you've lost all your "athletic abil", golf would not be fun. Just because it doesn't require running, jumping, throwing, or putting up massive weight on the bench press doesn't mean it doesn't require athletic skill. You'd be surprised how much the golf swing is comparable to things like outbound direction, the release, tight line, extension, skiing back to the handle, the hook up, blah, blah, blah. I'm with RAL, if I could retire, I'd play golf every morning, ski every afternoon.