Crossover Boat Wakeboarding & Slalom X5?

Boyderoo

• Baller

Hi I am trading up my 1989 Ski nautique 2001 . I am learning slalom at 28-30 at moment and find the wake hard and big But........... my 2 lads 18 & 24 Wakeboard They love the nautique but I am after something flatter and softer but still want them to be able to wakeboard Current shortlist is

Mastercraft X5 (favourite )

Mastercraft X7 2nd favourite

Nautique 216 ( said to be no better than my Nautique model 2001 (1989)

Dont know any others I have discounted the Pure ski boats prostar 190 197 nautique 196 etc Budget here is about £15k UK ppounds so im lokking at Boats around 2000 to 2006 approx

Grateful for any advice / comments

Boyd

• Baller
The X7 is a 197 with ballast tanks so that would be a good choice for you. Also, consider a Malibu Response LX or LXI with a wedge. Either of those will give you the worldclass wakes you are looking for and provide decent wakeboard wakes as well.

Over the years my olds have owned a 2001 LX and a 2003 LXi, both boats have a much better long line wake than my mates 2008 X7. I'm not baised to either make, I'm just giving my opinion, and if you want a boat that is good for both slalom and wakeboarding you'll be very happy with an LXi with a wedge.

Malibu did a smart thing by copy-writing the design of the Wedge, as it's the perfect tool if you want a boat that's good at both, without having to pump in a ton of ballast.

• Baller
I may be a bit biased, but another boat you may want to consider is a Malibu Sunsetter LXI (99-2004). Decent wakeboarding wake with the wedge and ballast, and the slalom wake isn't too far off of the Response's of that time frame.

• Baller
The X7 will have a better ski wake than the X5. A good option might be a Nautique 206 with tower. Nice ski wake and a decent boarding wake....It also is known as an Air nautique but I am not sure of the exact model name. Its bigger than the X5 or X7 but still offers a nice slalom wake.

I'll second the 206. The Air 206 might fit the bill. I've had the chance to ski many different boats LL to compare over the past couple years.

Not a fan of the Sunsetter longline. Deep troughs at LL.

X7 and 206 have similar feeling LL ski wakes to me - but totally different to look at. Short line 206 is much better - similar to 196.

Wakeboard wakes - tough call.

Tough to do both well.

• Baller

I have a 2004 X7 that I have been extremely happy with. The 2004's

and earlier have a less beefy tower, thus less weight. When I ski I only allow driver and passenger since tower acts as third person.

Ski wakes are great, certaily comparable to Natique 196 34 mph at 22 off. The X7 is a great cross-over boat. I have driven several Malibu's on our lakes, but don't like the way the driver seat feels

(a common complaint.) Was looking to upgrade to a ZO boat but

it is hard to match the versatility of this boat.

• Baller
You can turn a good slalom boat into a decent wakeboard boat, it's much tougher to turn a wakeboard boat into a decent slalom boat. I've owned a lot of Response LXi's with Tower & Wedge. World class slalom boat and a solid wakeboard boat with the wedge and a fat seat (or a few people) in the back.

• Baller_
Does Malibu have a patent on the Wedge? That thing just makes so much sense I cant figure out why other manufactures have not done something similar or improved on it. No 500lb ballast seems like a no brainer

@ryno, some of the first boats to get the wedge were not properly reinforced at the mounting locations and when people took off on high speed runs and left it down the wedge could cause some major damage.

That was addressed on subsequent models with reinforcements to the hull and different wedge designs.

• Baller

Not much choice of boats here in UK compared to USA not seen any 206's The malibu with a wedge keeps coming up from other reccomendations as well Only Boats currently available here make it a choice between; (prices in UK pounds )

X5 better for boarding than the X7? available here about £15k (2001 )

X7 ???? generally about £19k and newer

not sure which is the best slalom wake of these mastercrafts

Nautique 216 supposedly similar at 30-32 to my 89 SN 2001 between £16k and £21k (very high Hours ! ) so no real point

2005 / 6 Malibu Response (about £18-19 k )seems best of Both worlds

I think I need to try them all