2011 Malibu Response lx

bdougherty

• Baller
My ski partner purchased a 2011 response lx with zo last fall. We are having trouble with a very firm wake this is at speeds from 30-36 at 15 and 22 off. We have added approx 50 lbs in the nose but it does not seem to help. Having only limited experience with an earlier 2000s model I was suprised at the firmness of the wake. Any suggestions to improve the wake? Thanks

• Baller
Wakes on that hull can vary wildly. One of my buddies had an 01 RLX with a butter-soft wake at 15, and another currently has an 04 RCB (same hull and deck, no hole in front basically) and the 15 off wake is BRUTAL, like slamming into a parking block. We've found that keeping the gas tank as close to empty as possible makes a big difference on this boat. The -22 wake is great, as is down the line, but 15 is a nightmare at all speeds.

• Baller
@jhughes thanks for the suggestions and info on the hull. The boat will be used for many grassroot events so the 15off wake is critical. This boat seems to have a hull that "is like hitting a parking block". Is it safe to say that this boat will never have a comparable wake to nautique, mastercraft malibu lxi or the carbon pro? Any other tips on improving the wake are appreciated.

• Baller_
I took as much weight as possible out of a similar boat and it made a significant difference. Along with knocking about 200# out of the engine (lots of aluminum), I took out the rear seat and seatback which knocked out about 65# total, well worth doing. I made a simple luan with carpet panel to substitute for the seatback. Keep everything out of the trunk and fuel as low as possible. The weight at the transom is the area you want to target first. Props also make a difference so you might want to play with that, what does the boat have? You can go farther if you want to get in to some hull mods that will make a difference.

• Baller
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, keep them coming. We will play with things to see if we can improve the wake. I am not sure what the prop is but I assume that it is stock. I will check, any suggestions on a prop for the boat, it is used for 90% slalom and is used for many learn to ski and grassroot events. The wake is nothing like comparable 2011 boats, it reminds me of my old 89 SN as it is very hard and firm. The boat was a replacement for an 04 SN for the purpose of having zero off. Went forward on the speed control technology but backwards in ski ability. Thanks for all the help.

What did you think of the wake on the 89 sn 2001 i have one and am struggling with the wake as I am learning to do the slalom course I find it very unsettling , is it possible I should stick with it and try to crack it???? Im doing about 30mph on the course at moment

Im in the middle of installing a Bennet wake plate on my 93 Prostar, 14 inches between the exhaust outlets and 2 hydralic actuators. The theory is by raising the transom levels out the boat and makes for a smaller hole in the water. My goal is to get a wake like the late 90's Malibu's, small and soft. I should have some info on the results in a few weeks. So far about 5 hours and 600 with the dash gauge. Got to go... and get it done!

I believe an ACME 515 or 525 is what's recommended for the LX. 515 will give a bit more top end speed and 525 will give you more torque out of the hole. Don't know how each affects the wake though.

Call ACME to be sure. I've found them to be very helpful.

• Baller
I have a 2001 lx and my ski partner has a 2008 lx both have great buttery soft wakes. I have skied behind a 2010 lxi and it had huge wakes in comparison. both boats have the 515. I was told that this is by far the most recommended prop by the majority of skiers. i have never tried one with a different prop

• Baller
The reputation of buttery soft wakes was one of the main reasons for purchase. I guess the next step is to verify the prop and make an adjustment if needed. @brody does your ski partners 08 have ZO? Thanks for the help and recommendations hopefully we can find a solution soon.

• Baller
I've never skied an RLX or RCB with a better longline wake than either an 03-06 or 07+ RLXi. When the RLXi came out in 03, it was a zero compromise machine. Better all around, including the wakes, than any previous Malibu.

• Baller
2 questions / comments on this thread. 1. Tell me more about the bennet wake plate. Is it avalible for all boats? how much does it help the wake? I ahve a Moomba, and the wakes at 15 are killin' me. Other than the slalom wake, I love the boat. Also, @brody about changing the ECM... I have the Zbox, and its pretty good, I havent chacked my 1 ball, ect times, is prob fast, but seems to be a huge improvment over SG. My boat is a DBW, what is involved in changing the ECM? I have minor ideas of getting the "real thing" with ZO, may never happen, and might not tell much of a difference over ZO.

• Baller
We have tried both the Acme 515 and 525 both with similar results. The wake is small but very firm. Even at 28 off the wake is really not very good. We have taken all extra weight out, skiing with no back seat and 1/4 tank of fuel. We have tried no observers, 2 observers, weight in the nose. Nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions, the next step may be a for sale sign.

• Baller_
You could try some hook in the center section and of course to soften the wake you could take a page from Eric and aerate the prop wash to soften the wake. See thread on drilling a hole in his MC ahead of the prop. The other alternative would be to try an OJ prop, since 2 Acme's did not accomplish what you were after.

• Baller
It is the standard motor not the monsoon it came stock with an Acme 525 but we have also tried.the 515 per some suggestions. It really appears to me this is a hull issue as a change in prop really had no effect good or bad on the wake. Jhughes mentioned that the wake varied in this hull maybe this is just a bad hull.