Lower Back Pain

TSki

• Baller

I know this isn't a medical forum but I am wondering if anyone else here may have had common problems to what I'm experiencing. I've been skiing the course for 6-7 years now and only in the last 2 years or less I have started to experience some more noticeable lower back pain. It tends to flair up the day after I ski, whether it be slalom or trick, and is what I'd describe as a dull ache. I am fairly young (25 yrs old) so I am hoping to figure out a remedy for this in the hopes that I can have a long life of skiing.

I'm not sure if the issue is that I have a weak core (which I'm pretty certain I do) or if it is some other issue. When I do core workouts at home I actually am getting the same type of pain that I experience from skiing but to a lesser degree. That's the only thing that makes me wonder if it's something other than a weak core. I'm wondering if I should just charge ahead with trying to get my core in shape or if I should seek medical attention to make sure I'm not aggravating something when I am trying to get it stronger. Any advice is seriously appreciated. Thanks guys.

• Baller_
I would add.. If your skiing and hanging on to slack and taking hits, your asking for long term issues. Learn to toss the handle and live to ski another day. I know I wish I had learned that in my 20s. It's a painful lesson later on in life if you don't.

• Baller

If you can find a Kinesiologist/Chiro, even better. Skiing involves so many muscles, and if they are not firing properly, it will knot you up.

We have 2 in Toledo area, and the KC set my back straight after everyone else failed.

@TSki i went through bad lower back issues my first 4 years of course skiing and a little last year during my 5th season. The biggest benefit i have found is warming up before i ski and stretching after i ski. Anything you can do to get those muscles firing in your core and lower back. I do squats on the dock with no weight, forward lunges, jumping jacks, and high steps (running in place) . This gets the blood flowing to those muscles, warms me up and gets the hart rate up. I used to stretch before skiing but found out that needs to be done after. Like mentioned dont hold onto slack if you can help it. Also if things are bad now chiropractor, massage therapy, the right stretches, core strenghtening (if not painful to do) and yogo will help.

• Baller
@TSki I've had similar issues but have gotten much better by focusing on stretching the psoas muscle. See post No. 8 written by Boris Laval here: http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1523. I worked on stretching the psoas and some other core workouts this past winter and so far haven't experience the severe pain I felt last summer. I've only had two sets this year but so far so good.

• Baller
@TSki I'm having back issues this year too. The past couple of years, I've done lot's of core training and had zero back pain. This year I didn't to any training, and I have back pain. Even back pain that feels like more of a nerve issue than a muscle issue is resolved with core exercises. I'm convinced my back pain is from a weak core.

• Supporting Member

Ahh, the cranky psoas. For those of us who work at a computer all day and chase buoys the rest of the time, the psoas is one of the toughest muscles to keep long enough and strong enough.

A good massage therapist is awesome for this (though expect a lot of pain to release it), and learning about how to stretch and strengthen it can make a world of difference, too.

• Baller
if you can, make yourself a stand up desk. I have using 1 for the last year and a half and it really helps with back stiffness. It takes a little while to get used to and your legs will be tired when you first start, but well worth it.