Should Parrish have opted up at the Masters?

• Baller

So partly an excuse to experiment with the new poll feature, but mostly to add to the discussion. I'm surprised no one seems to be talking about what I think was the biggest decision of the Masters.

On Sunday there was a pretty good head/tail wind. Tgas opted to drop his 32off pass so he could get a 39 headwind. Nate went out at his 32off and then posted a strong 39. With the pressure now on Parrish to match Nate's score, he went out at 32 off, but then opted to skip his 35off pass and go to 38 where he fell around 3 ball.

I was standing out on the platform watching Parrish between passes and without the aid of the big screen I could see him turning his head looking back down course at the water conditions considering his move.

I spoke with a prominent skier afterwards, and he said CP made the right decision. His logic was that if he couldn't run 38 in a tailwind, he wasn't going to run 39, so it really didn't matter. What do you think?

• Baller
There must be some weird bounce back from the pavilion on the buoy CP fell around. Last year in the finals, T-Gas & Willy went done at the same buoy in much better conditions. Both skiers didn't appear to be in any trouble at the time.

• Baller

"What about 32 head, 35 tail, and then all in, opt to 39 head."

By taking that approach, he would have had to run a full 6 buoys at 39 for the win. Any thing short of that - say 5.5 - would have been scored as 38 off and Nate gets the win. By opting up at 38, all he would have needed at 39 was the 5.5 - In this case, not much difference, but its there.

• Supporting Member

I think his basic strategy was absolutely right. Gotta get essentially all of -39, and if you're gonna get that then you have to be able to run -38 tail. Anytime you need essentially all of a very difficult pass then the best strategy is to take the one before that with the tail.

Personally, I would not want to take the huge jump of the opt-up into the tail wind direction. Relating it to my skill level, the gap between a -28 head and a -35 tail is so ridiculously huge that I wouldn't feel ready for it. But I don't really like opt ups even when opting up into a headwind, so I guess it's a given that I wouldn't opt up into a tailwind.

So I voted for going -35 off the dock. But I assume that CP has enough experience doing various opt-ups that he felt comfortable with this one. So I don't literally mean "CP should have done it my way" -- I just voted for the way I would do it in a similar situation.

(Not that I've ever been in a truly similar situation, but you know what I mean!)

• Baller
TGAS started at 12m in order to get the 10.75m head wind. But his strategy didn't work either. The Masters is a tough place to ski. Every year something unexpected happens and skiers end up in the drink earlier than expected.

• Administrators

@ScarletArrow Don't Listen to Brent.

You guys realize that CP does a lot of big opt up. He and Andy had a plan and let me say it again...

It was just not his day. It happens.

• Baller_
Didn't see Nates skiing on Sat but he sure made it lake look like it was not ruff at all. K.C. showed the same easy looking runs in the OBrien head to head. Does anyone ever get to practice on Robins lake?

• Baller
Actually, if you watch the video very close you can see that something in the pavillion caught CP's attention coming into 3 ball, It was Hortons big ass hair. This small distraction cost him a shot at victory. It is all Hortons fault. I say he needs his head shaved!!!!!

• Baller
You know, Horton will be at the Cypress Big Dawg. There's enough of us from BOS that will be there. We could just hold him down, duct tape him up, and cut his hair ourselves. Yeah. Think about it. Superman without his cape. The Intergalactic Leader without his hair. What a parallel!

• Baller_

Should start poll thread

How much would you danate the see the hair go for cancer (Melinoma) research.

$10

More

Or not interested

At least you'll know what the potential is.

• Baller_
Second guessing strategy is alway easier than planning forward for the conditions, bottom line, top level athletes tend to go for the win and sometimes the consequences are major. The weekend had a couple of good examples, Takuma Sato attempted an ill timed pass at the Indy 500 that cost him the win and about $2 mil. in cash and left the team with a hulk of busted race car and the Toro Rosso team whiffed on a tire choice strategy that cost the driver a possible win, no chance to go from zero to hero because the rain did not come.