Ski gimmicks

bhs

• Baller

Not calling the step bottom of the S2 a gimmick but it does remind me of some "new and innovative" ideas you don't see anymore.

For example, HOs power sticks and the Obrien fin with the flap to relieve pressure on one side of the turn.

Anyone think of any other crazy ski ideas we don't see anymore?

My Connelly Attack had a binding system designed to float allowing the ski to have it's natural flex. (actually extremely comfortable bindings). Jobe also made the Carbon V or whatever it was called in the 80's with the V shaped tail. I think it was supposed to give the ski a shorter length for the turns and greater length at the rail for cross-wake.

• Baller
I recall seeing some ski with a fin that was on a bar attached to the back binding. When there was back heal pressure, the fin slid through the ski slot and deeper. This also caused the wing to decrease in angle. When the back foot pressure was less, the wing rose up through the ski's fin slot making the wing angle more aggressive but the fin not so deep. I can't recall what the ski was, if it was just a prototype or what... There was a lot of hardware in that contraption. Just the mechanism alone surely weighed more than some of today's skis.

• Baller_
Obrien Vengence and AlIegence were a cluster f.... of gimmicks. Ya had 3 ways (2 plates and a rod) you could adjust the stiffness of the tail. Plate for tip flex adjustment. A mini fin under the boot and an hour glass shape forward of the boots. I remember the add. Also a cluster f... of all the things pointed out and then explained. As for the step bottom, I would have said maybe with the S2. But there is no way IMHO the Coefficiant Xsl would operate as will as it does without it. It moves fast and swings stupid wide.

• Baller

You have to describe the wings on the EP.... Don't remember.

The Obrien vengeance, was that the one where the tunnel kinda Crissy crossed towards the tail? It had that funky tip.... Or maybe that was the G3.

Nano twist really?

• Baller
it was like two small tubes, one on each side of the fin. I remember trying one in the year 1984, got the ski from Dave Curmi with EP. The Prostock was still the top of the line ski that year though. You really didn't need a wing on the Pro Stock that was a wicked ski. It was recommended for 32 off and shorter.

The wing on the EP GX3 was called a venturi tube. The other gimmick was the Mastercraft ski that had a radius built into one side or the other depending on right or left foot forward. Does anyone else think that sounds a bit like the "twist"?

• Baller
A little birdy told me (twitter) that they have production skis and they will be at the big dog in France. I know it doesn't help you @OB but it is start. Give them props though. From concept to production in under a year if I am not mistaken.

• Administrators

@OB

Come on man that is a little harsh. They have a web site and have shown some skis but if you go to their web site you will see that the skis are not yet of sale. It was not practical to keep what they were doing a secret and it takes time to get going.

HOW DARE YOU GUYS CRITICIZE THE AM SKI ITS NOT EVEN OUT YET. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR NEW HOLLOW CORE PRODUCTION PROCESS AND TESTING PROCESS. IF THEY DONT TEST IT AS MUCH AS THEY CAN AND GET IT JUST RIGHT THEN THEY WILL HAVE A BAD NAME IN THE MARKET. IM SURE THEY ARE TESTING ALL DAY EVERY DAY AND TRYING TO RAMP UP PRODUCTION... HONESTLY GUYS ITS ANDY MAPPLE HES DONE SO MUCH FOR THE SPORT. YOU DONT EVEN NEED TO HAVE FAITH IN H AND ADAM CORD. THEYLL MAKE A GREAT SKI AND BLOW EVERYONE AWAY WITH A STICK THAT MAY BE MARGINALLY BETTER THAN ANYTHING ON THE MARKET. YOU JUST WAIT AND SHUT YOUR TRAPS!!