Goode Powervest first impressions

eleeski

• Baller

Tried my new Goode Powervest today. Interesting...

The good: the starts are zero effort and load on the back. ZERO! Wow!

A blown turn with a hard jerky turn did not stress my back - and I made the next buoy.

The gloves are the best clincher style gloves I have ever used.

The Hmmm: It is possible to put huge loads on the rope. Is this a good thing?

The loads on the back are distributed differently. New hotspots or spread out loads?

The bad: the straps tore up my soft underarm skin. I won't use it again without a rash guard.

Movement is severely restricted (this could rate a "Hmmm" but for where my skills were it worked as a "bad").

It is heavy and bulky. Getting the ski on was a challenge.

The vest color bled and stained my motor cover when left there overnight.

It's way too expensive.

Back on the slalom ski after a back induced holiday. Tweaked it a bit wedging the hydraulic cylinder back on the Ditch Witch but I was OK slaloming despite that. Struggling with a ski with the smallest sweet spot I have ever built, not current, still a bit challenged physically and a very strange vest led to poor buoy count and a less than stellar vibe from the vest. For a while I'm stuck on the vest. Perhaps I'll bond with it given some time. Maybe some magic will develop.

Eric

• Members
@eleeski- heat mold the vest, makes it alot more comfortable. It takes some time to get used to skiing in it but after awhile you'll forget you have it on. Also, I found if the straps are too tight/short it feels strange and limiting.Good luck!

• Baller
Adjusting the straps to suit is critical. There is a point where if too loose they aren't doing any work. Get as close to but short of that as feels comfortable for your back. 1/4 moves in those straps make a difference. Once you get it to the loosest position that works for you, your freedom of movement will greatly increase. I'm glad to be skiing without it now but, it was a good tool to get me back on the water when I otherwise would not have been able to ski.

• Baller

My first couple of passes were too loose on the straps. It still was easy to get up. Actually my first pass had the straps on top of my shoulders. That felt very weird and I didn't make very many buoys. With the loose straps I felt a fair load on my back. I tightened the straps up - a lot - and tried again. Most of my evaluation was based on the (too?) tight straps.

Thanks for the input @acmx and @ktm300. I will readjust the straps and give it another go. Hopefully more data in a couple days.

Eric

• Baller

Dave Goode told me to hang my arms by my side (like normal) and roll my hands back (palm down, away from the straps) when theyre adjusted correctly, you should start to feel tension in the straps after a small movement from the wrists/hands. That was the only time I've adjusted mine and it still feels great!

Oh, and molding the back panel is a must IMO!

• Baller

The Powervest is certainly not an unfair advantage. It is more like a medical device.

@Steven Haines's adjustment helped a bit. The vest still feels like I have thalidomide arms. Putting on binings is a challenge.

Getting up is a joy. The rash guard took away all the scratchy pain and bleeding hot spots.

The release and reach is weird. Manageable but quite different. I felt like I was getting pulled into the buoy. Like Stargazer - ugh.

The hookup felt a bit rushed but was OK.

It took extra concentration to get on the front of the ski in the pull but I was usually able to get a comfortable balanced pull position.

I hated the old ski so I took the hack saw to it. Might as well rebuild skills on a different ski. Maybe having to focus on ski characteristics made me quit stressing over the vest. I skied OK. Lisa did claim that some of my pulls felt weird but I was able to make a couple of passes. Still a long way to go to get near my average but I can see the possibility - with or despite the vest.

Eric

• Baller

I have been using them for three years now and never had the velcro wear out. My only problem was the little vent holes on the side of the palm getting larger over time and wearing a hole in my liners there. Used a small heat on patch to reinforce the liners in that area, problem solved.

Also, the dowels are smaller on the Goode's than the Clinchers were, so I have not had to remove them.

• Baller
Don't "cut" the dowel out. If you unstitch just one end of the pocket the wooden dowel is in, you can remove the dowel to see if you like it. If you change your mind, you can sew the dowels back in rather than dropping $90 on a new pair.

• Baller

Dowels are great. Try to get used to them as they are the heart of the magic behind Clincher style gloves. All gymnasts use a dowel enhanced grip.

The release issue is real. I put a holes in the webbing and run a rubber band around my finger This keeps the webbing from sticking to the handle when I release my grip. Others use thin Orings for the same effect. Try that before removing the dowel. Also make sure your gloves are the right size for you.

Eric

• Baller_

What @eleeski said. And it does take time to get used to them (any clincher type glove). More then one set and getting the right handle size for them matters. I go on the small side of handle size with the Radar "clinchers". You would have to find what works for you depending on your hand size.

@eleeski I'm slow on the uptake and can't rap my head around where or how the band or o ring gets put on the glove. Have not had a release problem in yrs and yrs but always interested in new ideas. Can you post a pic??

• Baller

A normal rubber band around the base of the fingers holds the webbing against the palm of the hand so when you open up your hand to let go, the webbing stays on your hand not the handle.

O-rings are much stronger than rubber bands and if purchased in bulk reasonably priced. I think @AKShortline is using them and might have the exact spec. I think he just wraps around the middle two fingers.

I use cut up racing bike innertubes and thread them around the fingers. These rubber bands give reasonable life and are thin enough to not affect the feel.

Eric

• Baller
I use O-rings, and just wrap them around the strap and middle 2 fingers. Works great for pennies. I think I'm at 56 sets for this season on first set of O-rings. This type of fix makes up for the extra gas my 200 burns, HA! The size of O-ring is 029 I believe.

• Baller
@eleeski in an event like a Bigdawg where you have to ski multiple sets in a day to win do you think the PV is an advantage. If it reduces fatigue it seems like it could be. I totally get that if you don't have the technique it doesn't help you get it.

• Baller

@Chef23 How much of your fatigue is in getting up? The Powervest really helps there. But the majority of the "strap rash" happened getting up so even the starts aren't consequence free.

Granted that I am way out of skiing shape right now, but I'm pretty spent after the 4 pass sets I'm taking. Maybe I'm working too hard to force my balance on the new ski and vest. I was still pretty sore after two sets last weekend.

The limiting factor in a set for me can be the foot comfort. The PV doesn't help there.

The one thing that really helped me was on those big slack hits. I'd just sit back and let the PV take the shock - or shoot a nasty recoil at the boat (or take a chunk out of my ski in a handle ding). Those hits can damage me if I'm really trying - the PV is certainly a help there.

Maybe I can talk Kirk into using it. He's young, strong and able to learn. Perhaps it could turn into a performance advantage for him. But the "old dork" factor is too high so he hasn't tried it yet.

Another factor for Kirk may be sizing. The factory took my measurements and the vest fit quite well right out of the box. I'm not sure heat molding would help - the fit is pretty good for me. We're not exactly the same size so the fit could be an issue. Someday I'll force him to try my PV and report back.

I certainly do not feel a significant advantage to the Powervest in competition - except that it may allow you to be there.

Eric

• Baller

I build my own skis. It doesn't save any money. My skis don't suck either. It is fun and rewarding to innovate.

I do have some ideas to improve my PV. A rope tied to my old vest and gloves is not it. But if it works for you, great! A worthy experiment. Some of the benefit will be there with a simple setup. The PV is more refined. But it may not be perfect.

Eric

@eleeski, I didn't know that you built your own skis but that is very cool. What materials and how do you shape your skis? Also, the only reason I said what I did above is that I know @tfriess and also know that he does now have a homemade powervest.

• Baller

I didn't let @MS try my ski.

Air bag mold, PVC core, carbon fiber with boron fiber reinforcements to make my skis. Super light and stiff. I get to try lots of different ideas - some actually work.

Eric

• Baller

I build stuff to suit my specific needs. If a factory product works, that's easier and often cheaper than trying to reinvent the wheel. If after adjusting to the Goode PV I run up against limits or see improvement potential for me, I might try to make one. I've been kicking around vest ideas for a while but back issues forced a reaction now. So far I am reasonably satisfied with the Goode product.

Eric

• Baller

Superlight, stiff strong skis. Gatorade lid safe releasing hardshells. Wide front slalom skis. Boron fibers. All reactions to specific issues that I had to innovate my way around (with proven performance in National and World results).

Plus it is fun - recreational engineering.

Eric

• Baller

Kirk used the PV today. Despite horrible form his buoy count was good. He was laughing the whole time about how easy the starts were and how the hard hits didn't hurt. He says I'm cheating. But I'm struggling to make any pass. Hmmm.

Gatorade lids make sacrificial washers that break away to release the binding in a high energy fall. @FrankS I have used them for years through multiple nasty falls with just scratches.

Eric