Video from boat to shore?

• Baller

After trying this for tricks with poor success, I swap cameras or chips. I gave up on wireless as too unreliable. 3500' is a long way for my wireless transmitters. For slalom, I have seen a wireless system work well for gate views.

Make sure you have a backup chip or tape recording in the camera in case something happens. And keep cell phones out of the boat and tower where wireless is trying to work.

Eric

• Baller

Some more details please. What is the total length of your lake and where is your receiving location. For example on a 3500 ft lake you need about 2000ft of reliable distance if your receiver is at the centre. Let's say your tower is in the middle.

To get a wifi network working there, a 7dbi OMNI directional (360 degree coverage) antenna on top of the judges tower and on the boat would work fine. Use a decent access point for example ubiquiti gear is excellent.

If your tower is at one end then you can use a directional antenna. A 24dbi could shoot straight down the lake and the boat would still run a 7 dbi antenna. Note these are not eBay claimed numbers. You can't beat physics and a real omni will be about 2ft tall.

Your boat would always be within the beam pattern of the directional antenna at the end and the OMNI means the boat can be anywhere on the lake and still get coverage.

Then you just use any wifi gear you like - a lot of Ethernet based camera gear these days for security etc.

Can you be more specific?

• Baller

Greg,

Trying to get a way to have a Video Camera in a boat and a screen with computer/projector so the crowd can watch a view from in the boat where you cannot see the course.

I suppose I could put a camera on shore in the area but it would be a pretty long ($$) cable run.

Tim

• Baller

Live video feeds from the boat happen all the time in class L/R tournaments. Usually there are some gremlins that need to be knocked down but the hardware is pretty much all the same. Like @GregHind mentioned the most important component will be your antenna. What's worked well for me is using an omni directional antenna near the center of the lake primarily because it minimizes the overall length of wireless transmission. Once you get it on shore you can use coax to deliver the signal from there.

I've had (and seen) good results from putting the shore antenna low on the shoreline (as long as nothing else interferes from there to the boat).

There's likely several options for wireless transmitters but the BADA 3w transmitters/receivers have been reliable at a good price point.

• Baller
For the Malibu Open, the plan is to use a directional parabolic antenna at the end of the lake pointing down the course. We are planning on webcasting that signal and displaying it on a Jumbotron on site.

• Baller
@Kelvin the 2w version worked flawlessly at the last two record tournaments at Cottonwood. Receiver near the center of the lake about 5-6' above the water with a transmitter in the boat with antenna on the windshield. I was the TC and had no trouble with it.

• Baller
@klindy I have some of the 2w ones as well. The work OK for us, but not great. We have a high voltage powerline running down the east end our our lakes and it causes significant interference. At last years Katy Ski Jam we were able to get a decent picture from greenball to greenball, but it wasn't suitable for webcasting. At this years Big Dawg at Cypress they worked ok, but the overall quality could be better for what everyone is trying to do.