Gonna try the new Goode

Than_Bogan

• Baller
When you think about it, there is some merit to the theory. And precedent on the theory. Length dictates turn radius. Just because you're heavier, doesn't mean you want the turn to be larger. And vice versa. It's what's worked with the Warp for the last 4 years. There's only a 67 warp and women from 125lbs to 200+lb men are riding it with the only change being flex and rocker.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

In snow ski design sidecut (ski shape) has more to do with turn radius than the length of the ski. But I recognize that waterskis are a whole 'nother beast! Some models ski divinely at 67.5 but are dogs at 66.5. I can't pretend to understand that entirely, but I'm assuming that waterskis are far more sensitive to length than their snow ski pals.

I do know that David Miller and Regina Jacques are very different in size and they both seem to be skiing great on this new stick.

• Supporting Member

Btw, I call BS on the "reason" behind the one-size-fits-all. To be clear, there is strong evidence that it is working, as Regina and Nick Parsons span a big range of size. I just don't think that the turning radius explanation is the right one. Length is clearly not the only thing that dictates the natural turn radius, if there even is such a thing as a natural turn radius.

So I can't call that an adequate explanation of single size. Such an explanation probably does exist, given the results so far. But then again maybe they just found the perfect shape for turning at that length, and in theory a (slightly different) perfect shape could be found for other lengths, and it would work even better for someone of the corresponding size.

Of course, I don't especially care, because this size is probably the one I'd get anyhow! And I'm kind of a fan of limited choices -- see my previous tirade re too many ZO settings.

• Supporting Member

@Horton The engineers do. If you don't know why something works, you can't use that to your advantage for the next design. (I know you know that, but still worth answering.)

Users, of course, do not care why something works.

But actually my purpose was just to point out that I don't believe everything in Goode literature!

• Baller
I heard that Parsons liked it tell the water warmed up but then it stopped working for him. He is not skiing on the new ski. Heard he was on some kinda hybrid wide ride. Same ski Tgas is on. The ski is working for Chad Scot does anyone know how tall/ weighs?

• Baller
One thing I've noticed with the Goodes are that those who ride them are scoring way higher than they would've 14, 20, or 25 years ago. Our ski club somewhat proved that with a "ride an old ski" tournament. However, we did not go so far as to ride wooden skis. Coincidently, I do not believe the Goode's have benefitted the "perfect technique skier" as much as the average tournament skier. This is where Dave Goode's ingenuity comes into play. He has designed a ski that has allowed more skiers to ski much betterthan they would ever had back in the day. For the last 12 or so years, the rest of the industry has been playing catch up to Goode. Now let the verbal assaults come. I know there coming. I just know it. ;)

• Baller
@skimech A lot of skis use a sidecut or hourglass in their profile. Prior to the nano one, the standard Goode 9900/9960 had a slight hourglass in front of the front binding. The Mid and wide did away with the hourglass. On the one, they moved it rearward. There is also a slight hourglass in the tail.

• Baller

Only a few Goode sponsored skiers have them - these were tweeted out by Goode this weekend, all on the Nano One:

- Jay Leach, Chad Scott 1st, 2nd at Southern Reg

- Tyler Scott won M1

- Lonnie Harris won M5

- Makayla just got hers a few days ago, but I don't think she ski'd regionals on it

- Not sure if Terry Winter was on it when he won Open and got 3 at 41

• Baller
Got two on Friday. Tried them both yesterday. First sets felt great. Daughter tied her pb for our lake first set and it's not quite right yet. I just ran 8 back to backs at 32off/35 mph since I am just starting to ski again and they were wide, early and easy. Dont think I lost connection once. Reminded me of my Warp, but much less effort. Ski is for real. Will provide more info later this week.

• Baller

@zman I haven't skied since @jdarwins early June tourny. Before that only a few sets (maybe 3 per month. Enough to make me sore every time) due to my business travel. Trying to get going again now. Biggest issue is my dam hands are not in shape for 97 degree water and killing me.

ok, back on topic: Ski feels great. I have 3 sets on it. I am getting too much tip in the water on my heel side at 38 (I am RFF) and need to possibly move the boots a little. Interestingly, I have canted my rear boot a ton for years. This ski turns the same with my foot almost straight, which is big for me. This will help improve my line out to 2/4 if I can run it straighter. I'm taking it easy right now and think it will work great. Several neighbors who just watched me run a few back to backs @ 35off immediately went and placed orders with Goode.

My daughter is doing well on hers. She is so light on the line with it when driving I'm not sure she even turned the buoy sometimes, even @ 35off and 38 off. She rode a traditional shape 64" Nano (which has worked great) before and this ski seems to take much less effort for her since it is a little bigger. Her line in and out of the buoy (especially her offside) are the best they have ever been on this ski. Short story is she started to worry about where to put stickers on the ski last night, which seems to be a serious commitment for a girl skier.

• Baller

I just know I am gonna get slated, the thing is I am not very good at holding my edge to the bouy, I come off edge way too early, mainly because I load the line too much, reading the Nano One preview literature, it states that you can hold your edge to the bouy and the ski will still shutdown, is this likely to be a problem because I like my skis to carry and not to shutdown, looking to make a decision, but living in the UK shipping cost come into the 30 day thing !

@mad11 is the ski running free at the bouy ? or braking like billyo !

I want speed to be my friend, anybody know where he lives, LOL !

• Baller

@Stevie Boy

The ski carries plenty of width and speed. It is not asking to pull longer or harder, but seems to like it when you stay connected and on the handle. I am still edge changing in the same place and getting great width. Not getting a feeling that it wants to shutdown. It stays with you and doesn't run away. When you turn, it comes back under you quickly and makes a lot of angle without excessive load. It has surprised me several times on my offside that it moves through the turn so freely even when I make a mistake.

• Baller

ooh err, I lock & load, release early, and ride the ski, generally narrow, not very good at keeping on the handle, I think it,s because our lake has a lot of silt, fast across course, but the ski slips down course in the turn and does not finish the turn that well, or though not correct, my method, gets me to turn tight on the backside of the bouy, no room for error though,

@Mad11 whats your thoughts on nano one for me, or am I gonna have to make big changes ?

• Baller
@stevie Honest opinion. Best ski I've ridden. It seems to adapt to many different styles easily. I would place the order. I've ridden most of the other skis the guys are talking about and now am done wasting my time.

• Baller

Last week Goode called to see if I wanted to order a Nano One. They e-mailed over specific infornation on the ski. Here is the part concerning the larger version.

ONE SIZE FITS MOST SKIERS - In a slalom course, everyone needs to make the same radius turn, irrespective of their height/weight. We have designed a 65.25” length for skiers from 110lbs to 210lbs. Nick Parsons at 6’5” – 205lbs and Regina Jaquess at 5'4" - 130lbs both used the same length 65.25" ski at this year's Masters. For the skiers 210lbs + a 66.75" model will be available.

• Supporting Member
Have folks been finding they want to adjust it? I have often found factory settings are best for me, even though they don't always feel that way at first. I'm hoping for this to be true on this ski, because it takes so much time to make and test adjustments.