Prop Strike damage

rodltg2

• Baller
My business partner has a wakeboard boat and when I got in this morning he asked me to take a look at his prop. He said he let a buddy drive and hit a rock and was wondering if the prop was ok. Well I looked at the prop and it was not ok but probably repairable. Upon further examination I noticed the strut was bent, probably the shaft too, and the prop was nicking the bottom of the hull. The prop was not able to be spun by hand. To make matters worse he drove the boat back to the launch about a 20 min drive , however slow( if that even makes a difference) .Anyhow, I told him better call your insurance. My best guestimate is probaly close to $2000. He crapped himself as he is even to cheap to buy a boat cover for it. Any clue or ball park what he is looking at before he gets an appt to take it in?

Prop -$600, strut- $350, shaft - $300, labor $1,000 (two guys, one short day). If you need glass work (common under strut), add $1,500. Miscl fasteners, bedding compound, lubricants, etc - $100. Part of the labor is an alignment of the new running gear to the motor. Yeah, it can get expensive. Have it done by a dealer who works on the boat regularly - they will have the learning curve already paid for.

Chances are the rudder took a hit as well. Take it out and make sure it is straight and the bushings are not loose.

• Baller

There's a place in Houston that can straighten shafts. I had them straighten the prop shafts twice on different boats. They straightened the strut once. Put it back in and worked fine. If he ran it that long definitely could have damaged other things, transmission, fiberglass around strut etc. They tried to straighten the rudder but didn't work. These guys work on props the size of houses so they know what they're doing.

I had some small cracks around the strut mount the time I put one of my boats on a sand bar. I took a chance and put it back together without address the cracks and it worked fine.

• Baller

@shaneh, yes Bauman's is the name of the place, they got me going for a lot less than the dealer wanted. Dealer of coarse told me the parts couldn't be straightened. When I talked to Bauman's they said it was no problem.

@rayn, maybe I should start a new thread, but I still have the SS prop on my 99 Response LX. You have any suggestions on upgrade, I looked a while back on the malibu crew website but seem like more people there worried about wake boarding performance.

• Baller

@gregy I will have to check when I get home on thursday, not sure if I put an Acme 515 or 525 .

There are multiple threads on the Malibu boat owners site(@horton I hope it is ok to mention their site here) about the hds and SS props.

I would suggest you do it ASAP.