New Bindings?

FrankS

I am currently using an ho animal with an rtp on my ho system 8. Some people have said that they don't like those bindings because they feel like they don't have a lot of control over their ski with the animal. I have been free skiing for a while and just recently started to get in the course. The last couple of years I have only got in a course about 4 times a year but next year I plan to go to a ski school and get in the course a lot more often. I ski at 28 mph @-15 when I am in a course and have come very close to running it. I plan to greatly improve my skiing in the next few years by spending more time in the course with skiers that are better than I am. Another problem I have with the animals is that after wearing them for a while my feet start to hurt. Would getting new bindings be a good idea? if so what type? I have looked at radar vectors and ho animals, are those decent boots?

Frank

• Baller_
Binding selection is a personal preference and safety relation decision. Rubber boots work well for many, you can find many people that ski in to 41 off on rubber (including Animals) and many great skiers that use hardshell or the newer hybrids. A key is to make sure they fit well, that will be a key to control. The newer style boots will certainly be much more comfy, that is one of the selling points.

• Baller
I had 2 2012 strada bindings. My rear boot strap broke off so I had to replace it. Radar is currently sending me a 2013. The result is me with no rear binding. I found an animal that my dad used to ski on laying in my garage and I used it. I actually felt like I had more feel over the tail side of the ski. Leading to my onside more feel off the 2nd wake. In the end I would rather be on my rear strada. Feels way more comfy as stated by @DW and I run much deeper into 32 and alot better 28`s with my strada.

• Baller

Funny I was on nearly the same setup as you last season except I ran double Animals. My S8 cracked and I decided with a new ski I might as well go for new boots with it.

I actually felt like I had control with the Animals but 2 things pushed me away from them. First was comfort as you found. Second was a couple of one foot in, one foot out crashes due to using soap instead of proper binding lube. My rear foot would clear out soap quickly but nos so much on the front so I went looking for a boot that requires no soap to get on. I've been playing with Vectors this season. Its been a learning curve on tightening the laces but once that was figured out I adjusted quickly. They are a very different feeling to the Animals but are VERY comfortable. I wanted to stick with an open toe design so I also looked at HO Attack and Basis. The basis is pretty soft and I found my foot moved around in them a lot. The Attacks were better but I felt they lacked some comfort compared to the Radar Vectors. The attacks felt too stiff for me.

Ski boots are probably as subjective as how well a ski fits you. Find a place to dry fit all the boots you are interested and see if they will let you get them wet. That is what I did but didn't mount them to a ski since at that point I was comitted to owning them. Based on that feel I went with the Vectors and have been content for this season.