41 Off - 55K

Zman

• Baller
Well Todd Ristocelli, certainly looks like he,s knocking on the door, we know Andy Mapple has the ability, not sure about Jeff Rodgers, or though I wouldn't count him out, I'm sure there might be somebody else, lurking out there waiting to make some history, but I find it exciting that the focus has moved on to us Gentlemen skiers, who dare to ski @34mph.

• Baller
@JoeMac I'm not sure of the EXACT rule. But it's something to the effect that you can't compete in the Big Dawg if you've finished in the top 10 in a pro event within the last 5 years. Again, not sure on the specific rule, but that's the basic reason. Jeff is not currently eligible based on his participation and placement in pro tournaments.

• Baller

@wwk87 practice is one thing, doing it in a tourney where everything is legit is a completely different animal. Nonetheless, you would expect that some big dawgs have run 41 in practice where you have multiple attempts in a row, no pressure and maybe a little help from the driver, but in my talks with the elite in that division I have not heard of any big dawg that has run 41at 34 in practice besides Mapple. In fact there have only been a handful over the years who have made it over to 4 ball in a tourney

Of course it will be done and maybe this weekend the way Greg is skiing, and Todd is on fire right now and I'm sure there are other great BD skiers who are knocking at the door but it is a little ill conceived to assume that 41's are being dropped left and right all over the country.

@matthewbrown Maybe I should've said "I wouldn't doubt it if there are Big Dawg skiers that have done it in practice." I'm not assuming that it's happening all the time. It's very interesting that there haven't been that many run in practice. I know that a tournament is a whole different ball game like @ShaneH said. For example, there were pros running 41 in practice in the early 90s and it took years for that to fall.

It's going to be exciting to see who gets it first, there are a lot of hard working, great skiers in that division. I'm betting that it will be run before we get to October!

• Gold Member

I would have to assume that -41 is just ridiculously gate-sensitive. My experience has taught me that a good gate becomes increasingly important on every line length, including -39. It seems reasonable to guess that the trend continues to -41.

I could imagine that makes it relatively even harder to get at a tournament. In practice, you have a zillion familiar visual cues to subtly help get the perfect gate. Not typically the case in a tournament.

Oh, and also: -41 is DAMN HARD. :)