Last ski of the season *sniffle* .... Need some critiquing please

aswinter05

• Baller

Got to ski behind a '99 SN yesterday for my last ski of the season. Talk about an amazing wake. This is my first full season of actually slalom skiing and I just ran a course for the first time last month at Coble.

For now I'm on the training course. I've been trying to focus on rhythm and timing. Also more importantly I've been trying to work on good form. Sometimes it's hard to focus on both within the same pass.

In case some of you haven't seen other posts from me... I've already been introduced to Than's "leverage" article. Great write-up! Also, I've watched all of Gordon Rathbun's ski videos on YouTube. I've found both of these resources to be tremendously helpful. I'm still having trouble "sitting". For some of you that watched my previous videos, I have gotten a lot better at not sitting. Also I'm having trouble staying in a good position through the wakes.

I like hearing different input from you guys because sometimes even though I know what I am supposed to be doing, I'll hear a tip from you and it will "click" in my mind. I appreciate the help going into the off-season. Enjoy my noobie video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIR8Q4oxSkU

Not sure why I'm commenting on this 'coz I still do the same thing!!

If you look at the video, the first thing that happens when you pull out is the tip rises. This is telling you that your first movement is back. Having a leveraged position with your shoulders behind your hips is great, but you must not let your centre of mass fall back over your rear foot when you do it.

Its difficult to do but you have to move your hips forward so that your weight stays between your feet at all times. The way I think of it is that if you were standing on a skateboard and someone pulled it forward while you just stayed still you would end up on your backside. If you moved your hips forward when they pulled it you would still be riding!

• Baller
No, OB. But he should try to find the body and the vertical head position that Seth has in that video which is something that a skier of ANY level can work on. Bringing the head more vertical behind the boat through the gates, from 2 to 3, and from 4 to 5 will bring improvements that will be noticeable.

As winter, if you like the triumph, which I do, trade in your 2011 for a 2012. That will give you a noticeable upgrade in speed and width. I gave my 2012 to my wife when I got my s2, and she noticed the same thing from her 2011. As other people have said, pull out wider, pull harder, and work on getting real aggressive across the wake. Handle low, chest up, ribs through the arms, and pull the m.o.f. Pillion out of the boat.

• Baller

I am with @Sully I think you need to slow the boat down a little and start skiing the full course. You aren't going to learn a lot at this point on the mini course. I would say your body position isn't bad but you are letting up going into the wakes. Keep the ski on edge and pull through both wakes.

Finally why is it your last ski. If I can still see bare skin there is lots of ski season left.

• Baller

@Chef23 the only reason you see bare skin is because of my lack of a dry suit. Trust me... the waters aren't warm here in Indiana. There might be another chance to squeeze in another ski but unfortunately it's doubtful.

@bogboy I will look into the possibility of an upgrade. Don't like to change skis too often but maybe I need to?

I definitely need to start being more aggressive at the wake. What's there to be scared of? An over the front tumble at 30-40mph? ppfff... I've had much worse tubing or footing from the boom. Thanks for the tips so far.

@OB I'll make sure Tom rides in the boat with me next time so he can yell. He's a great guy to be around.

• Baller
@aswinter05. "honey, thanks so much for my dry suit for christmas!! I love you so much and I am so grateful that you love me so much that you would give me such an incredible gift. And the fact that you gave it to me in October as an early present just blows me away!! I will always remember the early gift and I know that it will be repaid ten fold when u open up your gifts...in fact, can I take u to dinner tonight love?"

• Baller

Wanted to post a video of my wife from the other day as well. She just got up on 1 ski for her first time in July! Her form is actually starting to look really good IMO considering only 3 or 4 months on the water.

I wanted some of you on here to give some helpful tips so I can better teach her next time at the course. She's doing the training course as well in this video. Pretty sure it won't be long until she's schooling me!!

Thanks for the help guys. (15-off @30, 64" Connelly SP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGEzuKP_EJg

• Baller_
@aswinter05 - @ob is correct (remembering that men are pigs) that we need more gals on the BoS, but the next time you pull your wife she needs to slow down, and practice leaning against the line, it'll build confidence for her off-side, where is that lake you're practicing on ?