What do you mostly use for photos / Video a the lake?

Horton

• Administrators

@Dirt

I would never hit you with a ski.... that I liked.

Seriously I am totally getting one. I do recall you almost killing me with your ski once in Newberry and with a shotgun and ...

• Baller
Doster is the man. I don't know how he does it, but for us amateurs this case is pretty much a necessity. You drag your 5K? (no idea here) camera set up into a lake where there is skier spray and boat spray, slippery hands. Granted if you are in a ski lake where you can stand I can see it being a lot easier to maintain camera control, but while floating it get pretty tiring after a while.

• Baller

Bill is in this video at 0:53 to 0:57. He typically wears a wetsuit and 2 USCG vests (one normal and another like a diaper). Where he's positioned, there isn't any spray. The only real risk a sagging rope catching the camera or flash. It has happened to him at least once.

He views his cameras as tools and will do what is needed to get the shot. I've seen him hang his $6K camera on a pole to extend it over the edge of a boat to get a different angle on a barefooter. It was an eye-opening experience. As a professional photographer, he also has a Nikon Professional Service account and gets very quick turn around on his repairs.

• Baller
Have a canon SX260 that we just got. Haven't been able to use it yet for skiing, but that is what we will be using next year. Has a nice wide viewing angle and a terrific zoom. Will also take 10 burst photos - good for a edge change to end of turn sequence. Will use it in Florida when we get lesson's in a couple weeks. Will provide an update when we are done.

• Baller

I used to use a Nikon D2H which took 8fps for 40 shots. Got a lot of very clear and high quality photos with that camera but could only get 5 seconds worth of shooting before the buffer ran out so I couldn't get a whole pass. Well that camera died and I moved to a Canon 40D which only has 6.5fps but getting more than that these days is really rare or really expensive.

Video has it's place but for analyzing myself, I'd rather have some clear pictures that I can flip through as quick or slow as I want.

• Baller_
I put this on a thread somewhere but it fits here to. If your a phone (iPhone) user for shooting skiing try this app combo. The video shooting app is Camera Plus. It allows digital zooming in for a closer look. It's somewhat fuzzier but when you combine that with VideoPix it becomes very usefull. With the VideoPix you can slow the video to as much as 1 frame per sec.

• Administrators

You guys will see some new banners on the site as of today. This product looks pretty darn cool I am going to have to get one myself. I also have the new Sony Action Cam so 2013 should mean more photos and video.

3b90ef7a9a87efdf5489f64ff76ab3.png