1998-2000 Nautique

rodltg2

• Baller
Trying to help a buddy find a boat. For his price range I think this is the best boat for the buck. However I cant seem to find any for sale close by. Anywhere in California will work. Price range is $15K tops. There are a bunch of 95-96, but I don't know anything about those years. I am assuming the 1998+ was much better. Anyway if anyone has a lead on one let me know. I have only found one in Bako with 1500hrs. To high for him .

• Baller_
From the description and geographical location I'd say salt water boat that's already had issues with salt in the motor (Not a GT-40 310hp) and trailer (galvinised) salt issues. Add a possible bad interior and the price may only be just OK.

• Baller
1997-2001 all have the same hull. 2000-2001 have the crap LCD dashboard, and the ugly ass big "N" graphics. If you put Perfect Pass on it the crappy dashboard becomes a moot point. I remember hating it when it came out because in those days I had to drive manually. The only problem I saw with the 1997 version was the dash. The tach was low behind the steering wheel. The needle on that tach pointed down and moved counter clockwise which made it difficult to read for speed control if the speedos when out. The 1994-1996 dash was the best one they ever designed you could watch all the guages and keep your eye on the boatpath, and rearview mirror all at the same time. On the 1997 the dashboard height was dropped a bit from the previous versions. The speedometers were still in a good spot for manual driving. I have a 1994. The slalom wake on it is flat, but it is hard by today's standards. The 1994-1996 hull is still my favorite boat to trick behind. Put in a fat-sac and extended pylon it makes a great kneeboard boat, and does very well as a wakeboard boat. The wake on the 1997 hull looks the same as the 1996, but it is much softer. I think you lose a bit of floor space with the bubble shaped stern verses the diagnal shaped stern. If you can find a 1999 in good condition go for it..

• Baller
Love my 2000. Bubble butt sure ensures rope never catches. Gets rid of that fuse breaker set on the left dash on earlier models. Does have the crappy digital speedo's but in the dash PP and no issue. I kinda like the coded push button start/stop. Really can't go wrong in a 196 from '97 onward if well cared for boat.

Great thread as I sold my '04 (damn) and am now looking for a replacement. (97 - '06 range). Considering a '98 and was curious about the wake differences between my '04 and a '98? Have buds that ski 28 @ 15 off, 30 @ 28/32off and 34 @ 15off so concerned about wake/bump at the slower speeds & longer line lengths. I feel from what I have been able to research, the '98 should be a great replacement for me at a pretty reasonable price. Thanks for any input/advice on this guys.

• Baller

@04196 as I mentioned a couple months back on another post I had a 99 SN and the wake was awesome. Low soft at all line lengths. My buddy had a 93 SN and had nice wakes, but much harder than the 97-01 SN. If you get the 98 your ski buds will love you for it.

I would have owned the boat longer if it wasn't for Zero Off.

• Baller
@thager, better places to spend money...never look at the speedo's. If anything would sell and buy an '02 like yours and have you help me rig the ZO. For now, I'm sitting tight...vehicles both getting old so will take $$ priority.

• Members
Hey. I have a good ski pal that is interested in letting go of his '96 natique. Very nice boat, super clean. Has everything you need, shower, heater, PP. tandem trailer. Its blue/tan/white. A soft wake, No mechanical issues here. New sterring cable. approx 700 hrs I ski behind it frequently and can attest. We are up in Redding, ca. Asking price is $14K

98 was an improvement over the 97 in a couple of respects. Downswing tach made it visible in the newer dash configuration. Also, new engine box and dropped the engine into the bilge a bit more to make a bit more room in the aisles. Love my boat so very much. Have pulled skiers with smiles at 15 off and 30 mph up to 38 off at 36 mph. It does it all world class.

• Members
boat is listed on ski-it-again, its really in excellent condition. While suttle changes were made in 97-99, its not that much better unless your skiing 35' and better. The 02's were significantly imporved in dashboard, electronic ign etc, But for the older yrs, the 96 was a proven hull, I can ski 32' behind it no problem, tracking is good, and with it being well maintained, its a turn key sale You can even come out and test drive and ski behind it on our private site. A couple grand here and there wont change anything, but start having to repair seat cushions, gear boxs. This boat has low hrs, garaged, PP, stargazer etc

• Baller

If I were in a position to buy now I would probably spend close to $15k on this if you could confirm its a fresh water only boat. Trailer is a bit funky with two pairs of guides, but appears workable. Wrong coast for rodltg2's, friend though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261142291786

http://www.southfloridamastercraft.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=08049585X12K16K2012J8I00I30JAMQ5821R0&veh=2907246

• Baller

The trailer looks like a bent prop waiting to happen, maybe that is why the double set of guides. Not much wiggle room for the prop to power up on the trailer left or right.. Would also check to make sure the bunks have provided good support and not warped the hull.

Can't really tell if it has speed control from the dash shot. So add a few grand to get speed control and trade up on a better trailer..

• Baller
I wish Correct Craft had not quit making their own trailers. I have one of their last ones. They designed it so well. It takes my dad and I 30 seconds to recover and pull it out of the water. It takes me longer to get my shoes and socks off to walk behind my dad's mini van to hook up the turnbuckle hook. The trailer toungue tilts up and down. Tilted up, and removing the platform shortens the whole thing by 5 feet. Ram-Lin is similar in design, but I noticed on my brother's 2003 SN 206 trailer there are no springs on the axle. The tires definitely take more abuse on that one. The boat posted by vtjc looks like it is in good shape. The trailer in the photo looks a little beat up. My trailer sits in the garage all season, since the boat is on a lift. If I spot rust I sand it down and paint over it. I also wash and wax my trailer after launching the boat in the spring. I also take a shop vac to the trailer bunks before pulling my boat out..

• Baller
@Doonez For CC get a kit from Inboardfix or Jody Seal. Depends on the boat for year. Will start at about 3.6k but varies depending on what specific electronics the boat needs. 2002 is cheapest. Newer years a bit more for additional electronics required. You basically change the engine over to digital by changing out the ECM, throttle body, wiring harness, etc. Did the work myself. Not hard but a basic mechical understanding helps. Tim White talked me through any problems I had if I wasn't clear on the written instructions. I am very happy with the process and ZO rocks!