Horton, what can you tell me about it?

rodltg2

• Baller

I am pretty sure you know this boat. What can you tell me about it? Should I be worried about 1500 hours?

For you mechanic guys out there, how long could one expect this engine to last. I have read approx 2000 hours. When it it hits TBO, what could one expect to spend on the overhual?

Rod, with proper care and maintenance, the sky's the limit (the sky being around 3,700 hours). But the passed around numbers are 2,000 hours for Indmar and 2,500 for PCM. I'm a big fan for having long conversations with the owner and looking around his garage. You can learn a lot about how a boat was treated by having a couple of beers with the owner. I have ended up with some well cared for boats this way.

• Baller_
Have a buddy that baught a ski boat despite the fact that every time he asked about something he questioned with the boat, the owner would start his sentence with...." well me and my buddies were drinking so....". Agree a good chat will tell you a lot.

• Baller
I like the 97 -2000 196 they weighed 2,340 lbs and with 310 hp GT-40 had a better power to weight ratio than most newer boats. Add a Z-box and you can’t ask for a much better slalom boat. Does anyone know why the 2001 and later put on so much weight? The 2001 196 weighed in at 2,570 lbs. a net gain of 230 lbs. Where did all the extra weight come from?

the weights listed in the brochure are for boats equipped with standard equipment. In 2000 and years prior the "standard" engine was the 275 HP throttle body EFI and the GT-40 was an upgrade. In 2001 the GT-40 became standard but I think (and may be wrong) that if equipped with the GT-40 then the 2000 and 2001 boats weight the same. My 2001 SN still has the slider.