Nautique - Latest Approved Props

Kelvin

• Baller

Just saw this in the latest revision of the Approved Towboat list for 2012. The following props have been approved for use on the SN200.

AC 422 4 12.5 x 15.5 (.105 cup) Nibral

AC 668 4 12.5 x 15.5 (.150 cup) Nibral (6.0L only)

AC 654 4 12.5 x 15 (.105 cup) Nibral

AC 1458 3 13 x 14 Nibral

Interesting, the AC 1468 4 12.5 x 14.25 isn't on the list this year. Also, does anyone have any idea what kind of RPMs the AC1458 will do with it being a 13 pitch prop?

• Baller
@ScaredOfCorbets most of the 2010s came with the 1468 (a 4 blade 14.25 pitch prop) and many complained about the high RPMs and gas consumption. The 1458 is a 13 pitch which would appear to increase the RPMs even more. Granted its a 3 blade where the 1468 is a 4 blade so there may not be a direct comparison. Seems like this will be the Open Men's jump prop.

• Baller

The early 200's never came with the 3 blade 1458. This is considered the jump prop. The tournament prop for this year is the 654 for the 5.7 and the 422 for the 6 liter. Expect around 200 drop in RPMs. The 1868 is no longer on the list.

The RPM for a 6 liter ahould be around 3640 at 34 and 3840 for 36.

• Baller

@JC McCavit Sorry, no numbers on the 422. However, I do know it wasn't uncommon for this prop to be used rather than the crazy-revving 1868 so someone should be able to provide the rpm numbers for you. .5 more pitch of the 422 should lower the rpms by as much as 100-125.

@T8skier Haven't had any luck w/props where the pitch has been changed. They always seem to have a little more vibration. However, the prop shops I've done/do business w/all seem convinced changing a prop by 1 pitch isn't a problem.

• Baller_

Hmm! Just be care full where the cup is increased on the ACME as it is a progressive / regressive cup. I hand manipulate cup on props all the time. I have a set of cup gauges for this purpose. ACME are very thin in the blades and can be easily knocked out of balance. I would not send my propeller to just any repair shop for tweaking, rather back to the manufacturer or a shop that has some interest and back ground knowledge of how it will be used. Or step up to the plate and get a current application wheel.

I have a 668 on a 6.0HO 200 Nautique that I had to put about .25 thousands in the cup as it would go beyond the 5650 RPM mark at WOT, then a check engine light would come on!!!!

The ACME 422 and 668 are essentially the same prop's with the 668 having more cupping both 12.5X15.5 in size.