Time to Throw in the Towel?

Garn

• Baller

I just got my latest issue of Waterski. Really interesting article on Nate Smith. But when I read that Nate doesn't work out, doesn't really train, and does maybe one set a day, I felt like throwing in the towel! The winningest skier of 2012 doesn't exercise or even trains! He just goes out and does it on pure talent. My gosh! It makes me wonder what he could do if he did workout and train more. He could become the next Andy Mapple - the next legend.

Garn

• Baller

Not to workout ! he plays with the Devil, skiing at pro level is a hard game, I have seen many a potential skier go out with ballooning discs or torn nerves down the spine, something of that nature, is always lurking, waiting and then one day when you just do not get it right and you take that awkward pull or just a little too much slack, BAM !

At least keep your core strong, it can limit the damage.

• Baller

I'm with @Stevie on this one.

There is a difference between ski shape and in shape.

Ski shape will get you down the course, as for Nate into 43.

Being in shape will protect your body from experiencing major damage cause by unexpected forces, as for Nate I think he is flirting with the Devil here.

• Baller

Now days, I usually only ski one or two times per week. If I could take one set a day I think I could be a much better skier. But Nate seems to be a natural at skiing.

When I was his age I skied a lot and started having back problems because my back muscles got over developed compared to my stomach muscles. This forced me into weight training to get my muscles balanced out. I suspect like @horton says, as he gets older his routines will change.

There was an article in a issue a few years ago about what some pro's do in the winter and Nate said he doesnt do anything, goes snow skiing but no training or anything. I think you have to train otherwise you are putting your body under a lot of stress for later life. Agree with @stevieboy

I know not "Training" or otherwise "Conditioning" the Body for the rigors of Slalom would not work for me. But, I also know that you cannot Believe everything you "hear" either! (and only 1/2 of what you see!)

Nate is Young, Talented and dedicated. (generally skiing every day regardless of temps or conditions...) But, he is also Very low key and not wearing all of his trade secrets on his sleeve. So, just sayin'......

• Baller
I think Nate skis different that anyone else. Compared to the other pros, he is just so efficient and, in relative terms, lighter on the line. I think his body takes less punishment than the rest do, and certainly takes less punishment than mine. If I could ski as light and efficient as him, I could work out less too!

• Baller_
Not really able to follow him, or any for that matter without TV time, but does he take huge falls (practice/tournaments) ?? Few times I've seen him go down has not been a train reck. If that is the case, that will save the body. That is top on my list of things to keep me healthy. If its going bad, especially in practice, just toss the handle.

• Baller_
Gee, when I was 21, I didn't train either. I was too tired from playing tennis, riding horses, riding my bike, skiing (water and snow), hiking, playing golf, skeet shooting (BHO's favorite sport), swimming, canoeing, etc. I never thought I needed to get into shape because I never had time to get out of shape.

Lpskier

• Baller
Nate's not as light on the line as some think. He IS super efficient though which keeps him from being even heavier. He is young and i imagine he sees how hard some other pros train like Will, CP, TGas, and Andy this past week in Acapulco. I agree he prob also keeps things close to the vest and may do more than he lets on.

• Baller

I agree with @h2odawg79.

I spent a couple days with mapple back in the early 90s working at a boat show in Canada. As a 15year old trying to become the best skier I could I asked him what his off the water training consisted of. His answer was, 'I just ski'!

Even as a 15 year old I didn't really believe that to be true!

I've read a few articles since that confirmed my suspicion!