Response wedge or no-wedge

Bill22

• Baller

With the wedge up on a Response does the weight of the wedge mess up the slalom wake?

I am guessing that it would not weight it down any more than a full tank of gas would. So, if I got a boat with the wedge I could just never run with more than 1/2 tank gas and the wake would be OK..?

• Baller
I have one on the back of my 2009 LXI. We didn't add it until about a year after getting the boat. It just barely drags in the water and kicks up a little spray. Otherwise I noticed no significant impact to the wake on my boat due to the added weight.

• Baller_
Any weight added to the transom will have a detrimental effect to the slalom wake, the fuel comments support that. The wedge addition per pound of weight will have a slightly greater effect than the fuel since it is farther back. Is it significant, probably not based on comments and it is make of aluminum so should be fairly light. If you don't use it, simply remove the wedge portion and leave the bracket, at least that way you get rid of most of the weight. Does anybody have the weights of the wedge components handy, you can compare to similar effect of fuel at 6#/gallon.

They are so light, for most of us and our use, I don't think it is worth this much discussion.

If I were primarily going to the Course. I "might" (but, I doubt it) remove it and leave it @ home until "Family day". But I guess, "IF" this kind of thing can get into ones head, then I'd surely hate to see how they react when the wind blows a little or the water is too cold or too warm, the Sun is too Hot or too Low in the Sky, there's a High pressure system in the forecast or a "Sale @ Penny's"! =-D

I don't trip over the Fuel level, don't even remove the Back seat most of the time anymore. Seriously, it's just Not that big of Deal or worth all the "Head Trippin"...

Keeping the Boat balanced and having a nicely tuned Rudder is far more useful.

• Baller

@DW at your request, I weight out my (manual) wedge. It is close to 16lbs, and extends out 18". As mentioned, I removed mine and didn't really notice a difference (but I'm a fan of placebos).

Like EZ-Ed and h20Dawg mentioned, the wake (03-06 RLXi) doesn't seem to vary too much with fuel amounts....not that I top off the 42 gal tank often. More concerned w/ the L to R balance.