out with the old in with the new

wookush

A long time ago I bought my father in laws Malibu skier that he bought brand new in 1990. I have loved loved loved this boat because we only water ski. I am proud to say that I don't even own a wake board... But last year I surfed for the first time and so my problem began. Since then I have been looking for a tournament ski boat that I could also surf behind. Enter the mastercraft pro-star 197 x7. So here is my question because I am getting nervous about the change and I cant go test the new boat right now (in Idaho we have a ton of snow) Has anyone skied behind an 05 or similar pro-star 197 and an old skier like mine? How do the wakes compare? I am sure that the 197 wont be quite as good but I am hoping that the open bow, storage, and surfing will be worth it.

• Baller

Um...

The prostar 197/X7 is a tournament slalom boat. If you were hoping for a surf boat - its not considered to be a good one. I've surfed behind them with bags - it is not a surf boat.

As I recall the Malibu skier had some pretty harsh ski wakes, you might find the malibu skier surfed better than the X7

• Baller
You will have a tough time finding a DD that surfs well (and by well I mean actually letting go of the rope and surfing unaided) and then only maybe if you load it up with so many fat sacs that you won't be able to move around not to mention almost swamp the boat because of the fairly low freeboard. Beware that some may say they can surf behind their inboards but don't qualify that by mentioning that letting go of the rope is likely hit and miss. You, my friend, are exactly where I was years ago. Love to slalom but wanted to surf as well. Something has to give. Impossible to find a boat that will do both very well. I picked up a 20' 2008 Malibu Wakesetter VTX with the ski (diamond) hull, built in ballast and power wedge. It is good (not great) at everything. I would imagine that a Sport Nautique 200, Mastercraft X-2 or Tige RZR to name a few would be very similar.

• Baller
My buddy has a 197 that he puts a big fat sack in the back and two smaller ones each side of the motor. It puts up a big wake like that. We slalom on it all the time. Not my favorite but gets the job done. There's a lot of post on here about the Newer MC 190 and 197 wakes.

Well I just cant pass up this deal on the MC I'm picking it up next Tuesday By most all the accounts I have heard it has a great ski wake and is surf-able when the ballast is full. My brother in law has a Moomba set up almost the same way and said he can surf pretty well behind it. Thanks for all the input

• Baller
I can understand you being "nervous about the change". Going from water skier to wake surfer is quite a change and although society is becoming generally more tolerant and accepting, there are of course those (particularly in Idaho) that will still demean you for your "choice" even if for you it's not a choice, but how you were born. I applaud your bravery. You have to be who you know you are...in your heart.

I ended up getting an 05 MC prostar 197 x7. Havent taken it out yet but should be able to in the next couple of weeks. ( It hit 40 degrees here today so Im not far away. ) I'm pretty sure its going to rock.

• Baller
@kmenard Yep, we have a houseboat down there and we have a perfect location to set up my course. Basically, the houseboat sits along ball 3 and 5 and it is a completely protected and hidden location. We should do a baller trip to Powell sometime! that would be awesome!!!