What other sports learn from us.

addkerr

• Baller
personally me and fellow skiers ( may not be all ballers) look at how our equipment and skiing can improve by looking at other sports. e.g. snow skiing. Although as I'm currently in the French alps have been talking to some snow ski enthusiasts even though I'm a boarder, and only very very recently have inserts become available to put into snow skis (not Factory). Just thought id mention that our sports can help others such as this, considering we have had inserts for a considerable amount of time. Maybe we can lead the field in technological advances in other sports. Any other thoughts?

• Baller

In the case of inserts in snow ski, I think the issue is that binding hold patterns are not uniform between manufacturers. I'm not sure if most people swap bindings between snow skis or not. Most common folks who do that I know of at the AT or Randonee guys, where a set of binding can be $600.

Finally, it is very rare for snow skiing equipment mfg to put inserts in the skis. I have apair of K2 Telemark/backcountry skis from the the early 2000s that have them from the factory.

back to the OP's question: other features or technology that I can think of are rocker profile, and carbon fiber usage.

• Baller

Snow ski companies want you to buy their bindings, and many of them use systems that might be a plate with a specific hole pattern, or rails/similar that will accommodate the company's bindings. Many skis are sold with bindings as well.

One thing to take in account is that bindings in snow skis do not include the boots, it's just the binding. So not a critical issue that might affect performance/comfort/taste like in waterski. And all snow ski bindings will accommodate all snow boots.