Measure ski length?

Jeff_H

Guys,

May sound like a weird question, but how is the length of a slalom ski typically measured? Is it along the bottom of the ski, accounting for the curve of the ski, or is it along the top of the ski, in a straight line from tail to tip?

TIA,

Jeff

• Baller

All of the above. There is no industry standard. Each company does it different than the next.

The ski length is just more of a reference for the buyer to give it a "size". A skis size more about surface area than length.

@scotchipman, don't be silly, that would make about as much sense as ALL of the Ski manufacturers having Tuning Guides with "factory" #'s that could help to optimize the Ski! Especially in the hands of a short liner @ 36mph or a long liner @ 30mph, cold water, etc....

But, Personally I thoroughly enjoy the great opportunity created by all of this on SKI-IT-AGAIN! ;-}

• Baller
@scottchipman Surface area or wetted surface area? Seems to me surface area is just as arbitrary as length. If wetted surface area is used a set universal distance from the tail would have to be determined since placement of binders from back to front holes will affect the wetted surface (as well as skier stance). What method is being used in your posted surface area measurements above?

• Administrators

This image from http://whatshouldwecallski.tumblr.com/ best expresses how I fee every time @scotchipman brings this up

http://media.tumblr.com/8edfa9785eb75c5bc1b6c812cee2e0c0/tumblr_inline_migf1rrjEb1qz4rgp.gif

• Baller

What @MattP states. Just pick a brand and model, look at the manufacturer's suggested table. If near the limit between two skis, contact the manufacturer for suggestions. That's it.

If HO were to finish the tip of the ski as the Warp, length and area would change but the ski would be the same performance-wise...

• Administrators

@ral what? Say it is not so! I thought that if you took off the extra tip peice on the warp you had to move your bindings back.

@ scotchipman

I get it. You wish there was meaningful data. You want to analyze it to come to a conclusion. Any conclusion do you do come to is not dependable. When you add in the newer shapes like the Goode Nano One the math means even less.

When the Nano Two comes out the charts will mean even less.