First Rides on D3 Quest

Horton

• Baller
Any feedback on a 68" versus a 67" if you are inbetween? I am 190 - 195; usually I ski on a 68" ski; but, with the newer shape/width do the same rules of thumb hold true. Personally, I have always thought it was better to go with the bigger ski and tune it to turn a little more like a shorter ski. Any comments base on what you guys are feeling with this new one?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@skibug, I would go with a 67". I usually have the same philosophy on going up of in the middle, but I think this ski has plenty of surface and speed. I am 185-188 lbs, and am in a 67".

Send Paul C. an email to be sure.

• Baller
@jdarwin, thanks for the feedback. I am going down to Seth's the first week of April and plan to take a few sets on the Quest. I may try both just to feel it out; but, I will start with the 67". I am pretty sure I don't want the recommended stock numbers as my RC and Z7 ST were quite far from stock and a lot closer to the range you stated. I think I was at 6.916, 2.516, .747, 7 degrees, and 30.375" on my 68" Nomad RC. I may just want to start there on the Quest; but, I will be interested in hearing where you guys end up.

• Baller
@ral, thanks for the feedback. I am not sure how D3 comes up with there stock numbers; but, it seems that a lot of skiers wind up quite a bit off from what they publish. I am not trying to be a smart ass; stock just never worked for me.

• Administrators

Yesterday I got two rides the D3 Quest that I will be using for the review. I think the settings I have are close but I need to mess with it a little. As I write this I do not have the settings handy but I will publish them later this week. Basically I am a little short and shallow from the stock numbers. I also need to go back to the bone stock numbers and ride the ski that way for a few sets.

Early impressions are as follows.

On side turns are crazy good. The ski flows back from the apex with a lot if speed and angle. The question I need to answer is does the ski carve back super good or does it make it easier for the skier to be in good position.

I have ridden two Quests with 4 different settings and the off side turn has been a little different with each setting. At this point it could be me so I really do not have a comment yet.

Speed and ease of width are going to be themes in the final review for sure. More than anything this ski is comfortable. Refined is the word that comes to mind so far. No surprises.

• Baller
I have a 68" arriving Saturday. Up until the Fusion, I always rode the 68" version of D3's. The 67" Quest does not feel small (I'm 215) but the water is still cool (60 deg). I'm looking forward to determining which size works best for me as the water warms up and I attempt to get closer to 200lbs.

I'm 214 right now and will be down at 205. I have used two seperate settings on this ski and both times I have come within one ball of my PB. That to me is amazing concidering how early in the season it is. I have either started skiing much better or this ski has some serious potential when I get it dialed in.

• Baller
Ward rode his Quest w/ his Fusion numbers (6.915 / 2.508 / .740 / 7 deg) and it lit the ski up compared to stock numbers. After his second pass he said this may be the best ski he has ever ridden. The ski comes under you so fast that those fin numbers may have to be "dumbed down" for 35 and shorter - that's a nice problem!! I'm getting that same sensation even at 28 off. I think D3 is on to something with this ski. If anyone is in the area and wants to ride one, let me know. We have the 66, 67 and 68. We will have a 65" once it's released.

• Baller
Rode the 68" Quest today with the following numbers - 6.930 / 2.505 / .765 flat / 8 deg wing. Those were compromise numbers from several different sources. The ski is incredibly stable and fast. It surprised me that with a fin that long the ski performed as well as it did. Couldn't get completely settled due to 20mph crosswinds but first impression is very positive. The ski is a good bit wider than the 67" and it stayed out in front off the 2nd wake and coming out of the ball but never felt big. Very responsive. I'll stay on this size until I can get my belly button and my spine in closer proximity and then try the 67" again.

• Administrators

I am at 2.500 and do not see why I would go deeper. I did not like 2.508 or more

DFT almost .750 and still exploring forward.

Length? Not sure.

• Baller

@ral - once you get past 2.508, the ski doesn't finish the off-side with as much angle. The tip rise @Horton refers to probably comes from "pushing" on the back of the ski as a result of it not finishing with proper angle. 2.500 comes under you very quick and some may like that feel but I prefer a more controlled finish and found 2.505 fits the bill. The DFT should be around .750 for the 66/67" and .760 for the 68". I believe we will end up around 6.915 - 6.935 on the length. This ski likes more surface area but not necessarily deeper. Therefore, length will be critical. Your actual mileage may vary.

Much more on-the-water analysis to come.

• Baller

Its hard for me to think much about my fin until its warm and the rope is short. I set my ski up for 85 degree water and 10.75, neither of which is available to me at the minute!

I am probably done tweaking for a month or two but for now on my 67" I think I will end up:

around 0.750 (haven't tried anything else, feels good)

6.925-6.940 (I ran 6.940 on my X7 and agree that probably is too much for the quest. 6.930 felt pretty good and I am not sure less would be better)

2.505-2.515 (I can ride it anywhere in here with little impact. Less than 2.505 may work but more than 2.515 probably wont)

7 degrees

Don't forget to play with bindings!

• Baller

Its hard for me to think much about my fin until its warm and the rope is short. I set my ski up for 85 degree water and 10.75, neither of which is available to me at the minute!

I am probably done tweaking for a month or two but for now on my 67" I think I will end up:

around 0.750 (haven't tried anything else, feels good)

6.925-6.940 (I ran 6.940 on my X7 and agree that probably is too much for the quest. 6.930 felt pretty good and I am not sure less would be better)

2.505-2.515 (I can ride it anywhere in here with little impact. Less than 2.505 may work but more than 2.515 probably wont)

7 degrees

Don't forget to play with bindings!

• Baller
@bishop8950 - I agree that it is early and the water is not up to temp yet but I think we'll be close now that our water is approaching 70 deg. But, that's why the ranges are so large. Where do you have your bindings? I've always been at stock on D3's which may or may not be the right thing. S

• Baller
@bishop8950 - I agree that it is early and the water is not up to temp yet but I think we'll be close now that our water is approaching 70 deg. But, that's why the ranges are so large. Where do you have your bindings? I've always been at stock on D3's which may or may not be the right thing. S

• Baller
@jdarwin - I run a Reflex front at 30 1/16" and HO Animal rear at I think 17 9/16". I have all my binding mounts slotted so I can slide forward and back in micro adjustments. I feel like I am right in the sweet spot but have not tested it yet. The next step up adjustment I will try is moving my boots around to make sure I am in the right place.

• Baller
@jdarwin - I run a Reflex front at 30 1/16" and HO Animal rear at I think 17 9/16". I have all my binding mounts slotted so I can slide forward and back in micro adjustments. I feel like I am right in the sweet spot but have not tested it yet. The next step up adjustment I will try is moving my boots around to make sure I am in the right place.

I have skied three sets on the 66" Quest and this ski has a lot of potential. For some backround I have only skied on D3 the past 4 years. The RC, then the RCX, and currently the X7. These, IMO, were all typical D3 skis, very stable and consistent but lacked that wow factor in speed.

My first set on the ski I skied at 35 mph and left the ski at JD's numbers which were close to the numbers I had been running on my X7. First pass at 28 the ski felt great, fast from side to side and turned hard. Cut to 32 and it felt even better, cut to 35 and I ran my cleanest 35 of the early season. Got a little over zealous and cut it to 38 where if it wasn't for a sun-glared out 2 ball I probaly would have had a shot at getting deep if not running 38.

The second set I cranked it up to 36 mph and the ski needed more break so I increased the wing from 7 degrees to 8 degrees (Side note, I have never run any other D3 at 8 degrees, always 6-7 or no wing at all) Third set i skied 36 with 8 degrees was just like the first set, ran straight through 35 but did not attempt a 38 just backed up another 35.

The biggest difference from the X7 was the speed and carry out. On the X7 I felt like I had to work extremely hard to get the ski to carry out off the second wake to generate space before the next buoy and alot of times I felt narrow. This was not the case on the Quest, I was at the ball much earlier with less effort and this ski had the wow factor the previous D3's were missing. I actually had to question my boat driver for being on the 2, 4 side of the course because I had so much width at 32 and 35. The only difference I noticed as far as turning from the X7 to the Quest was at 2,4 (BTW LFF Skier) the ski came back underneath me quicker which meant less delay and earlier into 3,5. I am sure this was the result from the extra width the ski created coming into 2,4.

I will have some video posted this weekend

I have skied three sets on the 66" Quest and this ski has a lot of potential. For some backround I have only skied on D3 the past 4 years. The RC, then the RCX, and currently the X7. These, IMO, were all typical D3 skis, very stable and consistent but lacked that wow factor in speed.

My first set on the ski I skied at 35 mph and left the ski at JD's numbers which were close to the numbers I had been running on my X7. First pass at 28 the ski felt great, fast from side to side and turned hard. Cut to 32 and it felt even better, cut to 35 and I ran my cleanest 35 of the early season. Got a little over zealous and cut it to 38 where if it wasn't for a sun-glared out 2 ball I probaly would have had a shot at getting deep if not running 38.

The second set I cranked it up to 36 mph and the ski needed more break so I increased the wing from 7 degrees to 8 degrees (Side note, I have never run any other D3 at 8 degrees, always 6-7 or no wing at all) Third set i skied 36 with 8 degrees was just like the first set, ran straight through 35 but did not attempt a 38 just backed up another 35.

The biggest difference from the X7 was the speed and carry out. On the X7 I felt like I had to work extremely hard to get the ski to carry out off the second wake to generate space before the next buoy and alot of times I felt narrow. This was not the case on the Quest, I was at the ball much earlier with less effort and this ski had the wow factor the previous D3's were missing. I actually had to question my boat driver for being on the 2, 4 side of the course because I had so much width at 32 and 35. The only difference I noticed as far as turning from the X7 to the Quest was at 2,4 (BTW LFF Skier) the ski came back underneath me quicker which meant less delay and earlier into 3,5. I am sure this was the result from the extra width the ski created coming into 2,4.

I will have some video posted this weekend

Thinking about a new ski. I had an RCX for a short while, but it was too slow for me, compared to my Fisher at the time. So I've been on 2 Stradas in the last two years. It sounds like the Quest could be worth trying. I like the idea of a ski coming under the line easily, particularly on my offside. Can anyone compare the Strada to the Quest?