Chin into the handle

• Baller
Last Sunday, 38off, late to 6, RFF, fell to the front in the buoy, both feet released, land with the face into the handle, chin received the boat pull and handle passed by neck. Result: 4 stitches inside the mouth, bruise neck and chin, can´t chew with the back teeth yet. I am glad I have a handle protector or it could have been a lot worse...

• Baller

I posted something almost identical about 3 years a go under the heading "Handle Guard Saved My Life." Glad your OK...I only ended up with a black eye.

Amazing how fast it happens..Would not even consider skiing without the guard !!!!

• Baller

Thanks for posting your story @Alberto_Soares. WAY too few skiers are taking advantage of this cheap insurance. I'm glad you are one of them and that you'll be okay.

The TW Arm-Guard with optional strechy center web mounted

TW%20Armguard.jpg

• Baller

The pic was from another skier.

How to make one is to go buy a Rubbermaid trash can at Wallmart or Lowes. Make a paper or cardboard template and then cut out from a side of the can. Drill your holes as in the pic. Zip tie to handle.

I can tell you that black plastic mesh does NOT work! I experimented years ago after the girl jumper put her head into the handle and was dragged by her neck. Some fast reaction by the driver and clean living was the only things that saved her.

• Baller

@scuppers: My HG looks similar to the one AB posted, except for larger holes...Easy to make..Stretch the handle out under tension..Take a piece of cardboard and trace the inside V...Use a large curved bucket to trace the curve you want at the top....Use the cardboard piece you cut out as a template and trace it to your HG material...Cut it out with a tin snips...Mark where you want your holes..Draw them out....Clamp it to a piece of plywood...Use your drill and a hole saw.

I have used several different materials over the years, but found the most durable and flexible by far to be Black Rubbermaid Commercial waste cans. I get mine from Home Depot for about $7.50...Makes 2 good Guards out of each can....Lasts for years.

• Baller

Ed, I was going from memory on what you described before. I have an Armguard but with 2 new USG handles coming in soon, will be running to Home Depot.

@OB, if you see the video of the girl jumper, you may change your mind. I will roll the dice with partial jaw versus around neck any day. I use a 13" handle which also causes a concern.

• Baller

@OB you are right - it is a liability but so is the manufacture of ski handles.

To me you are at more risk the more caught your chin is. If the V is open, your head can tilt down into the V and have a chin be nice and caught on the handle.

If the V is closed enough your chin could get caught, but only if your face isn't in the way.

The design should have as little space as possible for the hand such that your wrist cannot make it into the loop.

Makes you think the handle in that video of the team mapple skier with the torn bicep (for use with the weight lifting hook) could be a good idea. With a smaller V and a more central connection.

• Baller
I sprained both ankles once when my un-guarded handle snagged my ski tip after I'd popped the handle. Since then, I had a coach tell me he saw the guard deflect my handle over the tip of my ski. I also had a rookie driver tow my handle over a small mooring buoy at about 15mph on a natural lake, and I saw the guard deflect the handle from a direct hooping. Heads, hands and arms aren't the only things that fit inside a handle.

• Baller

@Alex38 - As long as I know Thomas Wayne was the person who invented it. I bought a few from him some years ago (send me an email: albertocsoares at hotmail dot com in order to send you TW´s private email). Last January I was at www.miamiskinautiques.com and saw another model (I think from FM) I bought a few and gave them to my ski pals.

@OB - I am glad I was using it otherwise more than my chin could have gone into the handle

• Baller
Wow, what a testimony to the handleguard. glad to hear it was just bruising. I still struggle with how to attach the guard. I've tried zip ties and I snap them off on every set. I've tried string at the encouragement of a few here but the thing moves all over the place. Does anybody have low maintenance attachment methodology?

• Baller
I used 1/8" bungee cord with good success too. What worked best was when I wove the bungee cord in a figure 8, one loop around the rope, the other through the guard. I also anchored the ends by weaving it thought the rope with a fid at each end.

• Baller
I'm not sure I understand the argument against the handle guard. Is there a risk associated with using one? I use an FM with the center strap and very little hand clearance and I have never noticed the guard or missed a grab because of it. But I sure would feel like a buggar if I made my ski partner drag my lifeless body out of the water because I didn't have one.

• Baller

Handle, bindings, or...

B. Yager, head in handle after trying to round 6 @ 38 off after being extremely late @ 5

F. Mantesso, exposed multiple ankle fracture after trying to get around 6@35 after being extremely late @ 5

Alberto, chin into handle, saved by handle guard, trying to round 6 @ 38 off late after 5.

So, common factors are under developed binding systems and unsafe handles, or something else???

IMHO skiers over 40 need to let go when extemely late. Yes, Regina pulls it out, but not only because she has balls, but because she is the best skier in the world and a young woman.

A good skiing day is one where you can ski the following day, not a PB celebration at the hospital or memorial...

• Baller_
Kill switch is an interesting one - who/what do you hook the switch to? Logically it would be the skier as any time lag between the fall and ignition cut would potentially add to injury. Next issue and it goes to anywhere the kill switch attaches, is how to make the reset almost instantaneous so the boat can return to the fallen skier asap as that time lag can be detrimental and maintain proper control during the cut.

• Baller

@DW - I think he just means the lanyard/red rope switch most boats have. Not a skier kill switch.

Arguably an inline switch with the rope that requires tension of atleast XXX pounds every XXX seconds to allow the boat to continue down the lake would make sense, but tuning it to not shut down your run due to being a little slack at the ball, but fast enough to shut down all that slack.

This would also arguably be a deciding factor between holding slack and shutting down the run.

I think for ultimate safety the concept of the handle guard needs to go 3D.

Such as a molded cover that would slip over the bridle and then secure in the middle, it would only be 1-2" thick at the end near the handle, with smooth contours. Installation would be performed by slipping a split rubber bushing around your handle.

The molded cover would be slid UP the mainline, your handle would be attached per usual (you're digging this now aren't ya).

Finally the cover would be slipped down the bridle ill it sat over the bushing and a elastic band around the middle of the grip would be secured.

This cover would be designed to do everything the usual handle guard does.

With the addition that it would attempt to keep the handle from catching the water by skimming the bar over the surface. This will prevent the handle "jumping" around the skier/ski/limb, or catching on bouys.

• Baller

Also it would come in a few sizes, that would stack together so it would go over ellipticals, 13's 12's etc.

One type of bushing, 3 cones (rotary molded HDPE?) some replacable rubber straps.

It can have small holes for weight reduction as required.

• Baller

We probably should all use the dead mans lanyard, as any steering cable could break and throw the driver outmofmthe boat and now you have a boat going in a circle left or right at a ZO driven 34 or 36 mph, which means it will go WOT basically.

We don't. But probably should.