Considering a binding change....looking for input...

JohnCox

• Baller

I've been using Goode Powershells for 3 plus seasons, and absolutely love they way they feel. And, I'm happy enough with the Dual Lock system. But, last night, when unpacking my stuff, I picked up my N1 that I have mounted up with a Radar binding on the front and a RTP on the rear for someone to try out, and then I picked up my 6.0 with my PowerShells, and could not believe the difference in weight. So, obviously, my first thought is to try something different. Since I had a Radar binding at the house, I thought I would try that on....did not feel NEARLY as secure as my Goode, particularly around the ankle - maybe an additional strap would solve that...

Anybody gone from Powershells to something else and had success? I'm thinking maybe a Reflex with a rubber rear binding....maybe one day I will try a RTP....

• Baller
I think it's a mind set thing. Kinda like making the choice to wear contact lenses. You just decide to do it and make it happen. I went from 10 seasons of Goode Powershells to Radar's and maybe didn't feel as secure at first but no looking back and the Radar's are a whole lot simpler.

• Baller
@JohnCox remove the cuff from your rear power shell, such as in the pic you posted, will allow more movement but will still be locked enough to facilitate a release with both feet in, unlike the pic that looks rather sketchy if your rear foot will come out or be secure enough

• Baller

Now you've done it... You've discovered something minor that you don't like about your current boots and now you're on the hunt for something that is better in that one minor area at the possible expense of something that is more critical like comfort or performance.

If you're skiing well and haven't had any injuries on your current setup, my advice is either upgrade to the latest version of your current boots or leave 'em alone. This kind of crap happens to me all the time in every sport and I usually end up wasting money.

• Baller
@OB well removing the cuff and hacking it up is two different things, also taking the second buckle off is not required to gain the same effects especially when you leave the heel lift system in tact, both feet will still stay in and release together...just an FYI a former pro, now big dawg and one of the best coaches out there uses the setup, and others...just not the mess in the picture...

I used to ski with a reflex front and a wiley or Radar Vector back boot, (vector was more comfortable than rubber). After a while I developed an injury in my back foot due to continually bending it forward too much. I switched to Powershell 5's Doubles. I took me months to get used to them. They are less forgiving than the Reflex set up, but my scores are about the same. I might try the reflex again but the comfort and feeling of security of the PS boots is great, Also I have not been OTF in the PS's in a year, exept one offside hard turn when it released. Try the reflex with a rear boot but give it time. A change of boots is harder to get used to than change of ski.

• Baller

@OB Its the middle buckle and something around the cuff, both that keep your foot in.

Without the cuff the foot can rotate around the lower buckle, heel comes up and forward. Doesnt do it easily but yank on it hard enough in the right direction, it will rotate out.

With just the cuff and no lower buckle the foot can straighten and pull out straight up. Again not an easy release but pull hard enough it will come out.

Key to keeping a foot in a boot is keeping the heel down and back, no movement best. Exit/release always starts with the heel coming up. With a proper fit and properly adjusted buckles the foot will not come out.

There are quite a few two buckle snow ski boots that work great, one over the arch and one top of cuff. Personally I still find the four buckle overlap boot superior for snow.

Probably why I like the PS5 as locked in the boot, heel comes up by design, comfy.

• Baller

I typed poorly.

I can pull my heel out of the shell with the cuff tightened like i ski it. the cuff is just drawn up.

Having the heel secured by the lower boots buckles (you removed one), will keep the foot in the boot with out the cuff.

• Baller

@OB give it a shot yet? Curious if you feel the same, my rear boot tension adjustment primarily involves setting and marking the instep buckle by itself on dry land. That buckle I like so my foot doesn't "lift" but isn't cranked down, so I aim for the last notch where my heel won't pull up much, then the front is so my foot doesn't cramp, and the top is just enough to keep some of the water out of the cuff.

The front I adjust similarly, with more cuff tension.