Skiing with tennis elbow.

oneski

• Baller
I've been fighting a bout of tendinitis for over a month now....Got it playing racketball just one time and continued to aggravate it working out over the last 6 weeks. I got a cortisone shot two weeks ago with no relief. I don't mind living with the pain so long as it doesn't get worse and doesn't affect my skiing. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with tennis elbow during ski season and what remedies have worked.

• Baller

On top of forearm or in elbow?

this will help either one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16489757?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

There is a thread out here on golfer's elbow (elbow not on top of forearm).

If it is tennis (on top) hold your arm out straight, point hand down in a 90 degree bend, and with your other hand, pull your hand back to stretch.

• Baller
Tennis elbow always lateral epicondylitis. Got mine water sealing my deck pre-season...couldn't get it to go away during season. Clinchers were VERY helpful so I could keep skiing all season long. Switched grip as well to opposite. After the season did all of the conservative stuff you will see from others in addition to steroid injection and finally settled.

• Baller

What @ral said, with a couple of minor modifications. I had horrible golfers elbow later part of last season, definitely affected my skiing. At the suggestion of several here I got the TheraBand Flexbar (search it on Amazon, about $20) and have been using it since the holidays. Remarkable how much better my elbow is, my tendonitis is all but completely cured just by using the Flexbar. Works for either golfers or tennis elbow, just change the grip (read the instructions).

I'd suggest the blue bar (heaviest strength) rather than green but that's personal preference. As for the D3 Quest I can't comment, but I'm hoping to find out soon.

• Baller

@Ed%20Obermeier, I also have the blue one, but never got it out of the wrap. Started w/the green as I did not want to worsen the condition and stayed with it at the end.

There are some other "bad practices" that the very unrefined and bad mouthed south american skiers mention as to be avoided when you have tennis elbow, but rather not post about it...

• Administrators

I had this bad last year and the year before. I a lot of my issue is from 10+ hours a day on a computer. Bent handle is a must. Russell from Masterline says go to a bigger diameter.

Mobic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam

• Baller
Many good tips already given. Had this a few seasons ago. To the most part just had to live with it. But, something that helped keep it in check, and cleared it up late season when not skiing so much was to be sure to ice the elbow often, and certainly after completing your sets.

• Baller
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered (and just received today) the blue theraband fkexbar. I also ordered a pair of Masterline Prolock gloves and sent my handle back to Masterline to have them put a curve in it......I hope all this stuff helps! Started the flexbar excerises a few hours ago.

• Baller
@oneski I've used strap style gloves a long time. Before first use rough up the side of the strap to be in contact with the handle with some fine grit sandpaper. Otherwise kinda slippery initially instead of grippy. If you get hung up at all momentarily at the time of release, take out the hard dowel. When not used to them, they will feel cumbersome and stiff at first, but will loosen up. Once used to them, hard not to ski with 'em for life.

• Baller_

@oneski The problem is, you already have the elbow issue. Most of the comments here will only help you prevent elbow problems, not fix it. If you ski all summer, the pain will not go away.

@Shane told me he got some Celibrex and he was amazed at the pain relief it gave him but again, that is only a mask of the pain, not a fix. It will take a few months of off season to heal.

• Baller

Don't forget to smile.

I roll up and roll down a 20 lb weight attached to an inch or slightly bigger diameter doll rod, which holding arms out. Great burn to get blood flowing through the area. Also. The stretch I noted above is a must, several times a day.

There is also a trigger point on the back of the tricep, dig around in there until you find a sore spot. Deep tissue massage also helps.

• Baller

Get and ski with one of these: http://www.miamiskinautiques.com/Sunshine-Sports-Fat-Boy-Slalom-Ski-Handle-1-1-p/sunshinefatboy.htm

Does wonders for your elbows. Also, when the water is in the 90's it is nice to rotate this into the mix with other different diameter handles to keep your hands from shredding. I have three diff diameter handles and switch em up.