Only for RTP Users

A_B

• Baller

Wow I'm first into a poll.

I learned with it out as a kid. I keep it out now as it's far easier on my back out of the hole. I also like it once up as it allows easy heel lift in pre-turn as well as the angle at which my foot wants to be canted. I realize there are dbl set ups that allow for some lift and desired cant from center on the rear foot...but then it comes down to the hole shot and my back again. RTP and rear foot out on hole shots for me.

• Baller

Always rear foot in from the first time I successfully got up on slalom. I couldn't even learn by dropping a ski. I have too much trouble finding the strap and my balance on one leg is well below average. So fishing around back there for the strap without throwing my balance off is futile.

@Jordan - the people I know who learned behind underpowered rigs are the ones who get up every time without fail because they learned the most efficient way to do it!

• Baller
Out for me. I also learned on underpowered I/O's and one leg out allowed the boat to plane off. I found dragging the top of my foot in the water made learning balance on a slalom easier and it just copied over to getting up. I learned double boots behind real ski boats and most drivers have told me that it takes more power to get my 175 lb butt up than most guys who weigh considerably more. I guess I learned the most efficient and inefficient ways. haha Because it took me so much effort to get up with double boots, I just switched back to a RTP.

• Baller
I learned to drag when I was a kid, and didn't change until I hurt my groin(let the jokes begin) kicking in on a short set up. Since then I learned the both feet in method and have never gone back.

• Baller

We always did beach starts as a kid and everyone got up with the rear foot out. I have gotten up a couple of times with my rear foot in but it is too much work.

I tried to teach both my kids with both feet in but they both got up easier with back foot out.

• Baller

I start with my rear foot in for a few reasons.

1. My lake's setups are to short for me to kick in and have enough time to get set before pulling out.

2. I learned first how to keep both in. I dragged a foot for the first time this past year and usually do when I'm just headed to the dock or end of the lake after a fall.

3. I run my RTP pretty tight and I'm sure I could not get my foot in the same exact location each kick.

Well mostly,

Sometime if it's still in after a fall I'd leave it there to avoid the hassel of getting it back in, but in general I prefer to save the extra energy consumed by starting both feet in.

Originally learnt both feet in, but learnt to drag one a few years later to help underpowered boats & save the muscles & back a bit.

• Baller
@MattP, It looks worse than it is. I have been using it for almost 2 season without issue; with some doosies....yard sales, OTF's etc. and have come out when I needed to...I tend to hand on too long; I don't like to feel like a quitter :). That is not too say I won't get hurt; because every set up has some inherent liability, but I am not going back. I can say with a good deal of confidence this setup has saved me from injury during instances where my front foot stayed in and my back foot might have come out easily in a lean lock situation or a side body slam event. It takes away a lot of the 1 foot in - 1 foot out scenarios with a RTP set up.

I thought the purpose of RTP was to start with your foot out. I first saw people using double boots when I started this a couple years ago and I winced at the strain. Though I havent tried foot in or double boots my eyes tell my I risk strain and pulling on my legs in the akward position and back trying to balance.

• Baller

I like my RTP tight...so foot doesn't slip.

When in the water I reach back grab the tail of my ski and push my foot in good! Unless I do an OTF, my foot stays put!

HO makes the best RTP IMHO...tried many!

Comfy, Cushy & Tight!!!

I was always a double high wrap guy. Then after I moved away from home the only boat option available was a 4 cyl I/O. As a big guy I had to go RTP to get out of the water in a reasonable time. Now that I have a better boat, just can't change back after years this way.

• Baller
I have always skied behind jet boats with enough power to rip your arms out...but I went through a period where I had a mental block and couldn't get up. I tried dropping a ski, but would yard sale it every time. Nothing worse than having the need to ski and fighting a 30hp bayliner to get out of the water though!