Great couple of days at Lapoint Ski Park

Chef23

• Baller

I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for suggestions on where to ski near Universal Studios over the past weekend. Obviously there are lots of great sites in the Orlando area including Andy's site. Eric Kolb (@SkiKolb) sent me a message inviting me to come out to the new site Eric and Kris Lapoint are developing freshly named Lapoint Ski Park. My son and I made plans to meet Eric and his family at the site on Friday around 2.

We pulled in right behind Eric and as we got out of the car Taylor Woosley was finishing up a set with her mom Jennifer Lapoint driving. A few minutes later Kris Lapoint pulled in. Matt and I both skied two sets on Friday in awesome conditions. While we were there Boris Laval of MC Skis stopped by to see the lake and rode in the boat when my son skied his second set. As we were leaving Jennifer and Eric said to let them know if we were interested in skiing again before we left. On Saturday I asked if they were planning to be out at the lake on Sunday and we set up a 4 pm time which I thought was awesome of them given that it was Easter Sunday.

Sunday turned into a very cool afternoon. We got there around 4 and Taylor and Jen were just getting a set in. While Jen was on the water a Jeep pulled in and Matt said that looks like Will Asher and indeed it was. Matt skied with KLP driving and got a couple of tips. I skied then the highlight for me was getting to see Will ski live. My son Matt got to ride in the boat and listen to KLP and Will talk skiing while Will was skiing. Will ran a couple of 39s which according to Matt looked easier than me running 22. After the set Will signed Matt's ski which was very cool.

There was a big crowd of Ohio folks there including @ScarletArrow. It was great to meet some people you only see on line.

If you are in Orlando and are looking to get a few sets in I highly recommend Lapoint Ski Park. The site is 2.9 miles from Universal and is very well protected from the wind. It was a great affordable way to get a few early season sets in. They can be found on Facebook by searching for Lapoint Ski Park or I am sure @SkiKolb will hook you up.

I have a few pictures I will post when I get home to upload the pics.

Thanks to the Kolb and Lapoint families for rolling out the welcome wagon for me and Matt.

• Baller

Awesome story @Chef23. Memories like that with your son are priceless.

I stopped by there several weeks back when they were putting the course in but didn't ski. I did meet @skikolb and he seems like a great guy. I will be down at Mapple this weekend and Eric has invited me over. I will certainly go over and hopefully get a set in.

Cool stuff.

• Baller
Hey, it was great meeting Mark and his son this weekend! Thanks for nice post. We have been having a blast at LaPoint Ski Park getting a great start to our season. Air temps were in the mid to upper 80s today, @scarletarrow ran a season PB today of 3 @22off! Looking forward to having @johncox over to ski this weekend.

• Baller
Anyone interested in skiing with us at LaPoint Ski Park let me know. We will be offering a limited number of memberships. We will also offer alacarte ski sets for a limited time only. Here is your chance to be a member at Kris LaPoints personal private ski site! We will offer an out of state rate for those that travel to Florida to ski and want to be locked in to have a sweet place to ski! Our site has excellent wind protection and never has sun glare. We are less than 2 miles to Performance Ski and Surf. Call me for details 330 283-2599 or send me a message

• Baller

@SkiKolb..Where exactly are you located..I am also a couple miles from Performance, and 4miles from Andy's Lake...It would be advantageous to be able to grab a set when I don't have Ski Partners on my Lake.

THX, ED

Why the Off Topic from @MickeyThompson for asking the location ????

• Baller_
@JohnCox wow, close is an understatement. When looking up Andy's lake, I noticed that one and wondered if it was long enough. Do you all run an 8 or 6 ball course.? Is the dog leg used for turning?

• Baller
As @MattP said, it's an 8 ball course. We do drop in the hole at the dog leg. There are no issues with set up times before the gates - even 36mph. It's wind protected very well. There is a new Centurion Carbon Pro for your use on site (same boat Nate Smith ran 41 at Gold Rush)

• Baller
@MattP SkiKolb's lake has an 8 ball on it but there is plenty of setup room. My son loved having the 0 ball to go around. It took me a couple of passes to forget about it and use my regular keys. For me at 22 off I was going around the 0 ball at 28 off I was going before it.

• Baller
@chef23 as a mid line skier who skis an 8 ball daily at 36 it's a huge PITA if our sinker system is not working or in. It's a crutch that some skiers use and a hindrance for others. It's right in my way at 32&35 gate shot. And trust me if you forget to much about it and hit it you will have one nasty fall going across the wakes. I can do it with out thinking about it now but still don't like it haunting me in my pullout it draws away from what I should be focusing on.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow I think it was my handle. Caryl already reached out to me and said she would send it to me.

@OB being on the inside of the dogleg at Lapoints isn't a problem. There is plenty of set up time once the boat straightens out.

@MattP I am LFF and tend to go fairly early at 28 off and beyond so the 0 ball didn't really get in my way. If I went around it at 32 off I felt very late and would be on the left hand side of the entrance gate. It was a little disconcerting until I got used to ignoring it.

• Baller
I skied with Kris and Jen a week or so ago at their new site. That place is awesome. The water skied great. I kick in after the start and still had setup time from both ends. The lake has great wind protection from all directions plus being a smaller lake keeps the chop from building even when some wind does manage to get to the water. The wind was a full 25MPH from the SW (pretty much a cross wind) when I skied and there was no wind or chop to contend with! No back wash either. That video of Taylor that Ed just posted shows some beautiful technique. Looks like that green A3 is working well for her.

• Baller
We had Ed Brazil survey the site before course instalation, we have close to 1800 ft straight before the turn, the course is set at a slight angle to the shoreline to give us maximum distance. We decided to use an 8 buoy overlapping course. We have straight start in and do not need to spin up, even at 36 mph. There have been no complaints about the set up or the overlapping course. Other lakes have this set up and host tourneys, including record tourneys.

Just skied 3 days there with my wife and ski partner to start our season. Sweet site, setups are no problem at all, plenty of room-and my wife does not like short setups. Really protected site, one day there was enough wind to start swaying the huge trees in the distance and while it did effect the skiers body, the water only got a little chippy. I have skied a lot of Orlando sites and I can tell you there are a bunch that would have definitely been blown out with that same wind. And the location is great too. Landed at MCO on Saturday at 12:45, stopped for lunch and were on the water at 2. Additional bonus was having Kris and Taylor as drivers, and having Willy and JT show up one day. Always fun to watch 41 being run!

Definitely the best value around. We are definitely going back often. For now though it's into the dry suits....

Eric, hope to see you there on our next trip, thanks for setting us up.