INT Wide Ride skis

Skihack

Agreed with Horton, any of the Radar Theory's are solid and conform. The H.O. Triumph is very popular at INT as well.

Are there any INT Slalom events happening anymore? There has been none that I am aware of near TN. (other then Wake) in the past 3 yrs. or so.

• Baller
The 67" Theory is wide enough as well as the 69" Senate. The Theory will get you through 35" off but you have to really get through it light on the line. Doesn't like to be cranked too hard in the turn. And at 30 mph, it is very tough to get through 38 off without "crankin" it.

@skimech,

Have you played with any fin settings on the 67" Theory @30 mph and -35 and shorter? I have an adjustable fin Blk. on mine and have tweaked. I'm close, but I'm still not quite there. Maybe Andy could perfect it???

Of course if the INT isn't really happening anymore, I don't need to worry about it...

• Administrators

I can run 38 /30mph on the shorter theory pretty easy. I think the 67 is too big.

Is a bit of work but is fun. Never have gotten past 2 at 38. Fin settings are not critical at all at 30 mph. I would not spend a lot of time on that.

• Baller
There are two double header INT tournaments scheduled in North Carolina this summer. I believe this to be the case for South Carolina as well. Not sure about Georgia. At the double headers in North Carolina, you ski 4 times in two day. I really like that. Also, if you do Wide Ride you can ski up to 8 times in a weekend. That is just plain a dog gone good time for skiing.

• Baller
My issue with INT around here is that it is only one round. Two if you do wide ride. Most USA Waterski events are two or there rounds. For less money. The INT events were great when we were just getting into tournament skiing.

Like @Horton said: "Is a bit of work but is fun"

Amen! Physically, it's a Killer for me. It feels like I'm skiing with a giant Wing set at 12 deg's! (and that is with the Wing removed!) I bet smaller (lighter) skiers, can clean house at 30mph.

I think it's a Great tool for practice and a lot of fun! Plus, I believe the INT can be another great way to promote and grow the Sport.

• Baller
Not to hijack the thread but @Horton and @h2odawg79, can you please expand on your comments as this is something I'm very curious about since I'm 130 freaking lbs. and ski 30-32 mph and have had some of these skis recommended to me. I'd think that being lighter would be a disadvantage on a wider ski, and would be a recipe for not being able to turn or hold the edge worth a damn and getting stood up and launched off the wake. When I look at a Theory my first thought is "I don't wear 46-32 pants and I'm not old enough for a pontoon boat." The dealers are getting more eccentric all the time about demoing skis compared to when I bought my last one so I don't want to throw good money away.

• Baller
@XR6Hurricane I would say at 130 lbs you don't need a wide ski at 30-32 mph. My son who is heavier than that starts out at 30 mph and is on an A2. If you are running the course and looking to improve I would say there is no need for a wide ski at your weight.

• Administrators

@XR6Hurricane

You are 100% correct.

At any weight it is all relative. With some clear exceptions – most higher end skis are narrower than mid-range skis of the same length. When skier wants to ski short line at 30 mph they need a wider ski to support them. (as I write this I wonder what I could run at 30 mph on a high end ski – I would guess about the same as a wider ski).

Mid-range skis are wider to make them more stable and generally easier to ski on. As you advance and expect to increase the boat speed. You will want to move to a smaller (relatively) ski. It is all a sliding scale.

I think the Theory is a great ski but at 130 pounds you would want the 65. Skis like the Theory are a stepping stone. If you plan to ski at 34 in the future you might want to move into a narrower ski like a Senate, Vice to Strada.

Note: The Strada/Vice, Senate and the Theory are basically all the same shape. The Senate and the Theory are simply a little wider + not built with all the high $ materials.

@XR6Hurricane, I think your question is a great one. The following is only my opinion of why I said the Lighter skier in INT would probably clean house.

For me personally, I believe everything has to be taken into account. The Skier, their ability level, their objective or goal, their equip. and set up. So, it is possible that many things can effect the outcome and/or apply differently for different skiers…

I’ve seen lighter skiers run through the course at 30mph on their “Traditional” ski with literally no problems. If I do that, I am sinking and plowing my way through the entire course. I cannot even begin to get free of the boat unless I’m about 32off. –and then just barely. It is more like a gym workout and less like Skiing!

For 30mph, I am on a 67” Theory. At 30 mph and 190-200lbs, I feel as though I am still sitting rather low in the water from the pre-turn and back to 1st white water. Maintaining a lot of speed is difficult. This for me, creates the physically demanding part. I must continue to fight to regain my speed. The over sized Surface area is what allows me to Ski at 30mph. But, B/c of the surface area (specifically the Width) there is also an awful lot of Ski in the water during the turn aspect, when the ski is on edge. It is also little harder to roll over on edge then a Traditional Ski as well, so I put a little more into it physically.

I believe a lighter person (150 or less) with the exact same ability level as a 200lb person, has the advantage (in INT WideRide Div.) of being able to use the same length ski as their traditional ski, but in a Shaped Ski like a Theory. Which, would have enough Surface area to “Float” the Skier properly at 30mph. If I were to go to the factory spec size for me, I’d need to use a 69” Theory. It floats much better, (I’ve skied it) but, it is just too big for me to navigate at shorter lines. (it’s a School Bus)

As far as the wake pop goes, I would think that it may be more difficult for a lighter person. But, w/o question that wake IS pretty big at 30mph and it will demand a very good Stacked position from everyone. A good Stack will give the skier more stability, more speed and better angle which all will result in a Ski that is on a better edge and will “Slice” through the Wakes better. -Rather then bouncing off as much. But, even Marcus Brown gets a little Wake Pop @ 30mph. So @ 30mph, it is hard (maybe impossible) to eliminate completely.

Wider Ski's also have wider tails and they Pop Bigger! But, a Good Stacked position will also reduce or eliminate any neg. Pop effects upon the Skier.

@h2odawg79

So would it be more beneficial for a 190 - 200 lb skier like me still working on 15 off to either kick the boat speed up to 32 or utilize a traditional shaped ski? My current ski is a 67" Strada 55 (Sen c), I was thinking about going with a 68 in a traditional (S2, Quest, ...). I'll be down at Bennett's in June so I might try a new ski.

• Baller
69 oBrien Sixam 2.0 is the ultimate wide ride. 7.26 inches, incredible core. Shove the fin way forward, do the same with the binders then shallow it up around 2.4 with 9 degree wing. For warm water get stacked and stay on the handle. From a 200# perspective some boats are best skied 28 or shorter at 30 mph or knees become good friends with your chest. @horton Are you going to show up at Paquettes or Gurnetts this year ? Bet you could manage a Baller Booth at the INT US Championship 20th Anniversary at Ski West, probably even let you sponsor the pool party at the Double Tree in Bako

• Administrators

@TeamWally

" Shove the fin way forward, do the same with the binders then shallow it up around 2.4 with 9 degree wing." I would have to strongly not recommend that. Maybe it works for you but does not seen wise to me.

Yes I am sure I will be around...

@countymountie ,

I'm not sure I understand your question or what you are doing right now. (ski size and speed)

But, I will say; I also have a 67" Strada 55 and my Theory is A LOT better @ 30 mph and it is noticeably better @ 32mph through 32off. and maybe even @ -35. One day just for kicks, I need to run my Theory through @ 34mph and see how far up the rope it will perform. I would surely need the wing back on for that!

I will also say; I am a fan of progression and I don't always subscribe to conventional thinking! So, using shaped ski for 32mph and under makes total sense to me. In fact, for getting the feel for the dynamics of short line, 30mph and gradually increasing to 32mph makes sense as well.

Simply put, One can ski -15 at any speed (even 34) until the Cows come home and they will never be fully prepared for the dynamic of -22 and -28 will be like a whole other Sport! But, if one will dabble Progressively (not aimlessly) with 30mph on a Shaped Ski and start cutting line as they are able, they will usually improve even yrs. faster then the one still trying to get good enuf @ -15 at speed on a Traditional ski, before they cut to -22.

Fundamentally, 30mph with good technique is worth its wgt. in gold. As is, progressively cutting the rope to at least -32 and working on -15 thru -32... When this becomes easy and dependable, one can bump 1/2 mph and start all over again. If this cycle is applied and repeated & repeated over one entire Season, I will guarantee most skiers will make more progress then he/she has made in several seasons or will make in several future seasons doing it the old fashioned way... (I've seen it work miracles)

A shaped ski is a HUGE benefit at slower speeds. They are more stable platform, but also less radical. They may not make up for time with lightening speed. But, they will reward the skier by Not punishing them as much for bad behavior technically and they will also perform much better over all at below 34mph in the course.

On a separate note, there is plenty of evidence that wider skis are becoming more main stream these days even for 34 & 36mph. They are a different animal and some guys will never buy into them. But, especially for larger skiers combined with ZO, I am convinced in the advantages of a Mid or Wide ride design in a High end Ski.

Geeez, I can ramble.... -sorry

Wide Ride Ski Measurements

The ski mist be specified by the manufactures as Shaped, Mids, Parabolic

Wide skies mush measure minimum 7.25 inches in width – measured one inch front of the manufacturers original placement of the front boot

With a maximum length of 71 inches