Two Hand vs. One Hand

Omland

• Baller

I just started skiing the course last season. I have been given mixed advice on what I should do with regards to keeping two hands or one on the handle. I'm curious what people here would say. I have been able to run all my passes with two hands on the rope. Nothing great, my PB is just 3.5 at 22off. But some people have told me you should ski every pass you can with two hands while others have said I should start dropping a hand this season despite being able to run the pass with two hands on the handle. I'm pretty tall with long arms so I have a lot of reach, when I do try and drop a hand I feel I don't need it.

What would everyone here recommend?

• Baller
@Omland While there are benefits to skiing the course two handed at longer line lengths, eventually, you will have to release the handle to progress further up the rope, no matter how tall you are. "When" is up to you.

• Baller
There was recently a thread on this site where someone documented some advice from a book by Jack Travers discussing using 2 handed passes to help in training and the benefits. I have seen skiers use this training technique up to 35 off. I believe Lucky Lowe is also a proponent of this technique in training.

• Baller

"Waterskiing, A Waterski International Guide", (Jack Travers, Fernhurst Books Publishing, 1990, Page 46-47)

One reference - Another exercise to work on during the early part of the year is two-hand skiing at 14.25 m (28 off) at 4 mph (6km/h) below your maximum speed.

Ever since the introduction of the foil, the biggest mistake skiers make is under-pulling. This method of short-line slalom skiing at slower speeds forces you to pull long to reach the buoy yet, because of the speed, reaching the buoy is not impossible.

• Baller

The one handed turn definitely is "cooler" than two hands. I tell beginners to use two hands when the one hand turn has them in the drink too often and holding up progress. I try to get them using one hand when their position is strong enough behind the boat where they can start letting go and still carry speed through the turn without breaking forward and falling. It's a whole different feel and it is a lot more fun.

FWIW, on a dare years ago, I ran 32 off with two hands and almost ran 35 one day goofing around. We go around 6 ball with two hands often for bragging rites. Its a Strange group that I ski with and what we value.

A problem with keeping two hands on the rope through the turn is that it will pull your outside shoulder forward and not allow you to counter rotate correctly through the turn correctly.

While using two hands for the odd pass in training can benefit certain parts of your skiing, this assumes that you can already ski properly one handed through the course.

I would definitely recommend going to one handed turns as soon as possible.

• Baller
Chet Raley had my son dropping a hand as soon as he could make the course. His theory was why practice something now that you know will change? Great coach and skier. I remember thinking that it seemed early but it sure made him look more like a skier right away.